Connecticut Future of Tech Commission Town Hall
A Public Discussion on Advancing Innovations in Education
Date and time: Tuesday, June 22, 2021, 1 p.m.
How to register: Please visit our Connecticut Future of Tech Commission Town Hall: A Public Discussion on Advancing Innovations in Education registration page. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Description: The impact of the coronavirus pandemic has reminded American families of the enormous possibilities and advantages of technology today and in the future. We’ve also experienced the hazards and inequities of technology. Many have called for a coordinated federal effort to harness its potential and overcome its inequities. The Future of Tech Commission is a private, independent and bipartisan working group developed in response to discussions with the White House and the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) to recommend a comprehensive tech policy agenda for the nation. The ideas and feedback generated from this event and diverse communities and groups across the country will be used to craft key tech policy measures, and set the stage to implement a robust tech agenda with bipartisan support.
In this town hall sponsored by the Office of Governor Lamont, the CSDE and the CT Commission for Educational Technology, we’ll be discussing the federal policy, State policy, and public-private partnership opportunities that support advancing innovations in education. Moderated by Dennis House, Chief Political Anchor at WTNH, topics will include creating equity of access and enabling lifelong and personalized learning. Confirmed speakers include:
- Dr. Miguel A. Cardona, Secretary of Education
- Gov. Ned Lamont (D-CT)
- Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
- Gov. Deval Patrick, co-commissioner, Future of Tech Commission; former governor of Massachusetts
- Angela Siefer, Executive Director, National Digital Inclusion Alliance
- Doug Casey, Executive Director, Connecticut Commission for Educational Technology
- Sabina Sitaru, CIO, Aquiline Drones and former Interim CIO of New Haven Public Schools and CIO of Hartford Public Schools
- Andrew Ferguson, Chief Education Officer, Dalio Foundation
- Charlene Russell-Tucker, Acting Education Commissioner, Connecticut State Department of Education
- Michael Conner, Superintendent, Middletown Public Schools
- Jan Hochadel, President of AFT Connecticut
- Shannon Marimón, Executive Director, ReadyCT
- Irene Parisi, Chief Academic Officer, Connecticut State Department of Education
- Jonathan Costa Sr., Assistant Executive Director, EdAdvance
- Stephen Hegedus, Dean of Southern Connecticut State University College of Education and Connecticut Chapter President, American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- Elizabeth Laird, Director, Equity in Civic Technology, Center for Democracy and Technology
- Shawn Carpenter, Ella Grasso High School
The event will feature robust opportunities for audience engagement and comment.
Registration is required for participation. For more information, visit Future of Tech Commission.