If you are having trouble paying your utility bill, ask your utility if you are eligible for hardship status. If you are not eligible for hardship status, ask about enrolling in a COVID-19 payment plan.  PURA COVID actions. Effective March 18, 2020, PURA is no longer requiring paper copies of documents filed electronically through the Web Filing System.   Electronic Filing

Filing a Comment or Complaint

ATTENTION:  In response to the current COVID-19/Coronavirus public health and safety concerns, effective immediately, the Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (Authority) will no longer accept walk-in customer complaints in our offices at 10 Franklin Square, New Britain, Connecticut.  Customers may still contact the Authority by telephone (1-800-382-4586, toll-free) or by email at pura.information@ct.gov.

Filing a Comment

When filing a comment in a docket with PURA please include all of the following: Docket number, your name, your home address.

Do not include any account numbers, phone numbers, other personally identifiable information or inappropriate language.

Comments filed in PURA proceedings become public record and will be posted in the public PURA docket database and available for public viewing. By submitting comments to PURA, you agree that the entirety of your comment will become part of the public record in the corresponding docket.

Comments may be filed through the PURA Web Filing System or via email.

Registration – You must first register to use the Web-Filing Account Management system to submit a comment in a PURA docket. 

E-mail – Pura.ExecutiveSecretary@ct.gov


Filing a Complaint


If you experience a problem with a utility company, please contact the utility company first and give it an opportunity to resolve your problem.

You can find your company's telephone number by selecting one of the following utility service areas:

CATV  |  Gas  |  Electric  |  Telephone  |  Water  |  Cell Phone

If your company does not resolve your matter to your satisfaction, you can contact PURA.  PURA staff has been trained to assist you in resolving the various types of problems you may experience with your utility company. The most common complaints we receive involve:

  • Termination and re-connection of service
  • High bills
  • Quality of service
  • Service installation
  • Line extensions
  • Meter tests
  • Incorrect rates or tariffs
  • Reasonable payment arrangements
  • Outages
  • Deposits
  • Unauthorized switching of utility service from one provider to another

If you experience a problem with a utility company, please contact the utility company first and give it an opportunity to resolve your problem.

Please contact us by submitting a web-filed complaint, sending us an email, or calling:

1-800-382-4586 (toll free within Connecticut)
1-860-827-2622 (outside Connecticut)
TDD 860-827-2837

Any person with a disability who may need a communication aid or service should contact us at 860-418-5910 or at deep.accommodations@ct.gov.


Content last updated December 2020