Due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis, click the hyperlink for criminal courthouses that remain closed. Court business continues to be limited and many cases have continued by the clerk’s office. Be aware that you must wear a face covering in order to enter a Connecticut courthouse and that physical access to the Public Defender’s office is limited for safety. Public defender staff in the courthouses are available by phone and other means of electronic communication. Please go to www.jud.ct.gov to see where your case will be heard or to check for your continuance dates, as you may have difficulty contacting your lawyer during this time. If you have a question about your case, please contact the Public Defender office at the open courthouse for your jurisdiction. If there is an emergency, you can contact the Office of Chief Public Defender at 860 509 6400.

Juvenile Delinquency
Seperated Bar

In Connecticut, Juvenile Courts handle cases for children under the age of eighteen who have been charged with a crime. Seven is the minimum age to have capacity to commit a crime and be sent to juvenile court accused of being a delinquent. Delinquent is what the courts call a child who has been accused or convicted of a crime in juvenile court.

If you are 17 years old and charged with a motor vehicle offense, your case will be heard in adult court. Most of the time this is ok, because the punishment is usually just a fine and a conviction does not create a permanent criminal record. If there is a chance that a motor vehicle case could result in jail time, you or your lawyer can ask the judge to move the motor vehicle case to juvenile court.

If you are over the age of 15, any felony charge could be transferred to the adult court. If you are charged with a very serious offense (Class A and some Class B felonies) your case will be automatically transferred. If you are charged with a lesser felony, the prosecutor can ask the court to transfer your case to the adult court.  You have the right to a hearing before that happens.