Members of the public have reported receiving calls, reportedly from the Judicial Branch of the Public Defender’s office, indicating that their loved one is in jail and they need to immediately send cash or provide a credit card number for bail. These calls are scams, so please do not send cash or provide your credit card number or any other personal information. A public defender would never call and ask for money or credit card information. If you receive such a call, contact the State Police in your state.

Juvenile Delinquency
Seperated Bar

In Connecticut, Juvenile Courts handle cases for children between the ages of 10-18 who have been charged with a crime.  Children under the age of ten cannot be arrested or referred to the juvenile court as delinquent.  Delinquent is what the court calls a child who has been adjudicated for a crime in juvenile court

If you are 16 or 17 years old and charged with certain motor vehicle offenses your case will be heard in adult court.  Most of the time this is okay because the punishment is usually just a fine and a conviction does not create a permanent criminal record.   If there is a chance that a motor vehicle case could result in jail time, you or your lawyer can ask the judge to move the motor vehicle case to juvenile court.

If you are over the age of 15, any felony charge could be transferred to the adult court.  If you are charged with a very serious offense (Class A and some Class B felonies) your case will be automatically transferred.  If you are charged with a lesser felony, the prosecutor can ask the court to transfer your case to the adult court.  You have the right to a hearing before that happens.