Effective January 8. 2021, the Office of Chief Public Defender will relocate to 55 Farmington Avenue, 8th Floor, Hartford CT 06105. The Connecticut Innocence Project/Post Conviction Unit and the Hartford Legal Services Unit will relocate to that address on January 15, 2021. All correspondence should be directed to that address. All telephone numbers will remain the same, however there may be a disruption in service on the moving dates. Please use email if you are having difficulty contacting the Office of Chief Public Defender by telephone.

State of Connecticut

Connecticut Innocence Project / Post Conviction Unit
Seperated Bar

The Connecticut Innocence Project of the Division of Public Defender Services for the State of Connecticut seeks to assist indigent individuals who are convicted of crimes for which they are innocent. In order for us to assist you, the following must apply to you:

1. You must be indigent; in other words, you must be unable to afford to hire your own attorney.
2. You must be factually innocent of the crime for which you have already been convicted. “Factually innocent” means that you are not the person who committed the crime.
3. You must be serving a Connecticut sentence.
4. Your sentence must include at least a ten year period of incarceration.
5. You must be no less than five years from your estimated release date.
6. There must be some new evidence in your case which would establish your innocence. New evidence is evidence which was not known at the time of your sentencing. Such evidence may be the result of further investigation, or new or additional forensic testing.

If your case fits the above criteria, please completely answer the Connecticut Innocence Project request for assistance form and send it to:

Connecticut Innocence Project / Post Conviction Unit
2275 Silas Deane Highway
Rocky Hill, Connecticut 06067

Please keep in mind that this process can take a very long time, therefore, you should continue to pursue any other legal action which you may have already started.

Thank you.