Protect Yourself Outdoors
In keeping with the spirit of having fun outdoors, we encourage everyone visiting our State Parks and Forests to be safe. As you explore the outdoors, here are a couple of friendly reminders to ensure you have a safe and fun time.
Biking Tips: Whether you are looking for a flat easy bike ride or something more rigorous and hilly there are plenty of trails for your pedaling pleasure. Keep in mind the following trail guidelines: Respect Other Users; Respect the Environment; Respect Closed Trails, and Respect Your Head and Wear a Helmet.
Fishing Tips: Quality time with friends and family spent outdoors while fishing can be a great way to relieve stress. Be sure to take advantage of free Family Fishing courses offered by the Connecticut Aquatic Resources Education (CARE) program.
Hiking Tips:There's no better way to explore CT's State Parks and Forests than on foot! Hiking provides you with the opportunity to discover our state's magnificent resources.
12 Essentials for a safe and enjoyable hike:
- Extra clothing and sturdy footwear
- Food and water
- Trail Map and compass
- First-aid kit, sunscreen, and insect repellent
- Whistle and cell phone
- Field Guide(s)
- A family member or friend
- Hiking stick/trekking poles
- Magnifying glass or hand lens
Picnicking Tips: All you really need is a picnic basket with your favorite foods, a blanket, a few friends and family and your favorite park or forest. Prepare by washing your hands, safely packing your food (keep cold food cold and hot foods hot) and bring a water bottle. Try to pack everything in reusable containers so you can carry out what you have carried in.
Just because it is not summer does not mean that you do not have to worry about sunburn. Use these tips to stay sunburn free:
- Any SPF of 15 and above will provide good protection
- Remember to make sure your sunscreen is UVA/UVB protectant. This will protect against sun rays that cause cancer, sunburn and premature aging.
- Remember to protect your eyes from UV radiation by wearing sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat.
- Use lip balm that contains sunscreen, too.