NOTE: Effective June 1, 2021, the Commission's address is: 165 Capitol Ave., Suite 1100, Hartford, CT 06106 Phone numbers and email addresses will remain the same.
The Freedom of Information Commission's mission is to administer and enforce the provisions of the Connecticut Freedom of Information Act, and to thereby ensure citizen access to the records and meetings of public agencies in the State of Connecticut.
The FOI Commission hears complaints from persons who have been denied access to the records or meetings of public agencies in Connecticut. Any person denied the right to inspect, or to get a copy of a public record, or denied access to a meeting of a public agency, may file a complaint against the public agency within 30 days of the denial. The FOI Commission will conduct a hearing on the complaint, which hearing is attended by the complainant and the public agency. A decision is then rendered by the FOI Commission finding the public agency either in violation of the FOI Act or dismissing the complaint if the public agency is found not to have violated the FOI Act. If the public agency has violated the FOI Act, the FOI Commission can order the disclosure of public records, null and void a decision reached during a public meeting, or impose other appropriate relief. In many instances, a hearing is not necessary as the parties are able to resolve their differences with the assistance of an FOI staff attorney, who acts as an ombudsman.
The FOI Commission also conducts educational workshops and speaking engagements for public agencies throughout the State of Connecticut. For further information contact our office by phone (860-566-5682
;Toll-free (CT only), 866-374-3617
), fax (860-566-6474
) or e-mail:email@example.com
The FOI Commission’s legal staff is authorized to represent the Commission in all matters affecting the Commission, and to defend Commission decisions that are appealed, in the superior and appellate courts.
- Colleen Murphy - Executive Director and General Counsel
- Mary Schwind - Managing Director and Associate General Counsel
- Thomas Hennick - Public Education Officer
- Kathleen Ross - Attorney
- Valicia Dee Harmon* - Attorney
- Paula Pearlman - Attorney
- Danielle McGee - Attorney
- Zack Hyde - Attorney
- Jennifer Miller - Attorney
- Mary Kate Smith - Attorney
- Cindy Cannata - Management Analyst
- Lorraine Walker - Paralegal
- Jennifer Mayo - Paralegal
- Linda Fasciano - Administrative Assistant
- Charla Vincent - Human Resources (FOIC & Ethics)
* Attorney Harmon speaks Spanish (Lcda. Harmon habla español)
- Established - 1975
- Statutory Authority - CGS Section 1-205
- Authorized Number of Employees - 16
- Structure - Appointed Commission
- Number of Commissioners - 9
- Recurring Operating Expenses: $ 1,706,960 (FY 2021)