SNAP PHE Winddown Flexibilities
As we winddown from the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency (PHE), DSS is operating with the following, federally approved, SNAP waivers/flexibilities.
- Interviews at Application and Recertification
The Department will not be required to interview SNAP households at initial application or recertification for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, provided that all of the following conditions are met:
- Identity has been verified
- The SNAP application or recertification is complete, not questionable, and all information to establish eligibility is provided
- Mandatory verifications are provided, complete, and not questionable
- The household will be approved for continuing eligibility
- The household does not request an interview
If the household must submit mandatory verifications, a request for information will be sent to the household along with an interview notice. If the household responds with the mandatory verifications, but does not complete the interview, and all other eligibility criteria are met, the interview will be waived, and the case will be granted.
If a household is determined eligible for expedited processing, the SNAP interview may be postponed in accordance with traditional postponed interview waiver and the household will be granted for the appropriate expedited period. If all mandatory verifications are subsequently provided, and the above criteria are met, staff can waive the postponed interview.
- Suspension of ‘ABAWD’ work requirements
ABAWD = Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependent Children enrolled in the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program. ABAWDs without an exemption are only eligible for SNAP benefits for three months in a 36-month period. This SNAP time limit for enrollees in all towns in Connecticut is suspended through 11/30/2022 in CT. For more information, visit www.ct.gov/snap/abawd.