**NEW! Special Information about Virtual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)**
The Department of Social Services is partnering with the Connecticut Association of Human Services and Social Venture Partners of Westport to give you information about the benefits of Virtual Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, or VITA. VITA can help you:
· claim your federal stimulus check (Economic Impact Payment);
· claim federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance benefits; and
· get free tax return preparation help (including the Earned Income Tax Credit).
The free service is approved by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You can access the service from any device. Simply schedule an appointment with an IRS-certified volunteer by clicking here. This link will bring you to the website of the Connecticut Association for Human Services.
It is important to know that receiving the Economic Impact Payments will not affect your eligibility for DSS food, cash, or medical benefits.
For more information about VITA, please click here to see an email sent to Department of Social Services customers receiving SNAP and cash assistance. To go to the general VITA site at the Connecticut Association for Human Services, please click here: www.cahs.org/freetaxprep. Thank you.
- The Internal Revenue Service is sending ‘Economic Impact Payments’ to American households. Please check out the special IRS website at www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments.
- Even if you don’t make enough money to file a federal tax return, you are probably eligible for an Economic Impact Payment. For special information for non-filers, please visit www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here.
- For more information on tax relief and Economic Impact Payments, please visit www.irs.gov/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments.
A group of non-profit Connecticut legal aid organizations has also posted helpful information at www.CTLawHelp.org/coronavirus.
**Please note: receiving your Economic Impact Payment will NOT affect your eligibility for Medicaid/HUSKY Health, SNAP or other DSS programs.