(TPBF) Instructions for W-2 and 1099’s
The Taxpayer Service Center (TSC-TPBF) enables tax preparers and tax professionals to submit informational returns using either a "key and send" or "upload" method to electronically file their clients Forms W-2, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, W-2G or 1099K and associated annual reconciliation(s). The TSC is a safe and secure method of filing your data and provides filers with a unique confirmation number for each successfully submitted return.
Third Party Bulk Filers (TPBF) are tax preparers who prepare returns for multiple clients or multiple locations for the same client. These preparers have registered as a Third Party Bulk Filer (TPBF) with DRS and have been assigned the ability to file tax returns on behalf of other taxpayers. If you have been assigned the access rights of a TPBF, you will have the option to “key in” the information for one client at a time, or “upload” a file for multiple taxpayers. You will need to log into the (TSC-TPBF) to bulk file returns.
NOTE: Your client(s) must be registered with DRS for wage withholding to file the W-2 forms. And they must be registered for non-wage payroll to submit form(s) 1099-R and W-2G. However, for non-wage withholding Form 1099-Misc. there is an option available to submit these forms if a client is not registered by entering the client's FEIN in place of their Connecticut Tax Registration Number.
If you have not yet registered but would like to become a Third Party Bulk Filer, click on the to download the Application to Become a Bulk Filer.
If you are already registered as a Third Party Bulk Filer and are ready to select your filing method, please go to TSC-TPBF Login Page.
Tax Preparers(TPBF) Filing Procedures
Log into your account in the TSC-TPBF.
Select the File for Your Clients link from the Main Menu.
There are two options to choose from when sending informational returns (file import, key and send – single client filing).
- File Import – Your file must be in the Standard File format.
If you are submitting W-2 forms, choose "Withholding-Wage and Tax Statement W-2” from the drop down box.
If you are submitting 1099-R, 1099-MISC, W-2G or 1099K forms, choose "Non Payroll-Withholding Tax Statement Form 1099-Misc, 1099-R, W2-G or 1099K" from the drop down box.
Click the “bulk file” button.
- Use the "browse" button to search for the file on your computer that you wish to upload for processing.
- Once you have “brought over” your file, click the “upload” button.
- You will see a File Status page.
- Once your file has finished processing, click on "Download Result File" to confirm your data processed with no errors.
- If there are errors, you will be furnished with the reason for the error(s).
- Simply correct your file and re-upload.
- Once you have successfully uploaded all your W-2's, return to the Main Menu and select File for Your Clients.
- Then select the Withholding Annual Reconciliation (CT-W3) from the File Import section to upload the CT-W3’s.You may use the Dynamic Web Import method or,
- You may file the W-3’s using the Key and Send-Single Client Filing method to complete the filing process.
- After you receive a confirmation number, a printable version is available containing all of your information as submitted.
- Key and Send-Single Client Filing - File and pay your clients' return one at a time.
Select Business taxes - Client CTREG under the "Select your client type" heading
Enter client's Connecticut Tax Registration Number.
Note: If you are filing 1099-MISC forms for a client without a Connecticut Tax Registration Number, you may enter their FEIN.
Select the tax type for which you are filing from the drop down box. (Withholding – Payroll, Withholding-Non Payroll).
Click “file on line”.
- Select the Annual Reconciliation, Form CT-W3 and forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statements.
- Choose your filing period. TSC will automatically default to current filing year).
- If you have 100 or fewer W-2's, you may manually key-in your information online one form at a time.
- File upload using our Dynamic Web Import. You define your text file and upload your text file (this does not support the standardized EFW2 file.)
- After entering in all your W-2's, utilizing either of the 2 options above, you will be taken to the Form CT-W3 where the TSC has calculated many of the fields based on the information you just uploaded. You must verify the numbers and fill in the quarterly breakdown.
- File upload using the Standard EFW2 file format as defined in IP 2018(13)
- After uploading all of your W-2's, you must then return to Withholding menu and file your Form CT-W3.
- You will receive a confirmation number of each successfully submitted CT-W3. Important Note: Your W-2's have not been processed until you receive the confirmation number for your Form CT-W3.
- Select the 1099 form (1099-R, 1099-Misc., W-2G or 1099K) that you are filing.
- Choose your filing period. (TSC will automatically default to the current filing year).
If you have 100 or fewer Form 1099/W-2G's, you may manually key-in your information online one form at a time.
- File upload using TSC Dynamic Web Import (DWI) -- You will define your text file and upload your text file. (Note: This method does not support the standardized file format defined in the DRS informational publication.)
- After entering in all your 1099/W-2G's, utilizing either of the 2 options referenced above, you will be taken to the Form CT-1096 where the TSC has calculated many of the fields based on the information you just uploaded. You must verify the numbers and fill in the quarterly breakdown.
- After uploading all of your Form 1099/W-2G's, you must then return to Main Menu and file your Form CT-1096.
- You will receive a confirmation number of each successfully submitted CT-1096. Important Note: Your 1099/W-2G's have not been processed until you receive the confirmation number for your Form CT-1096.