Electronically filing Form W-2,(Wage) and Non-Wage Forms 1099-R, 1099-MISC, and W-2G
Information Returns Filing Update
The Taxpayer Service Center (TSC-BUS) enables information return filers to use either a "key and send" or "upload" method to electronically file their Forms W-2, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, 1099K, and W-2G and associated annual reconciliations. The TSC is a safe and secure method of filing your data and provides filers with a unique confirmation number for each successfully submitted return. Below is the simple login procedure to follow in the TSC before you select one of the three filing methods best suited for your filing needs. After the TSC login procedures, you will see some additional details of each filing method to help you better understand each process.
If you’re ready, you may login into the TSC and then select your filing method. If you don't have a Connecticut Tax Registration Number and need to file Form 1099-MISC, follow the instructions for Unregistered Taxpayers.
TSC Filing Procedure
Log into your account in the TSC-BUS;
- If you are submitting W-2 forms, choose "Withholding Wage" and select Annual Reconciliation, Form CT-W3 and Forms W-2, Wage and Tax Statements;
- If you are submitting 1099-R, 1099-MISC or W-2G forms, choose "Withholding Non-Wage" and select Form CT-1096, Connecticut Annual Summary and Transmittal of Information Returns (for the form you are submitting);
- The current period will be displayed. Please confirm the period end of the returns you are filing, then click "next" to continue;
The three options for filing the above referenced forms are as follows. (For easy reference, we recommend that you print these instructions before proceeding to the TSC login page).
- Under "Select Method", choose "I will manually enter my information (maximum 100)" and click "Next";
- Enter the information for each W-2 or 1099 form separately;
- Once you have successfully entered all of your W-2 or 1099 forms, click "Next" and you will be brought to the Form CT-W3 or CT-1096 where the TSC has calculated many of the fields based on the information you just entered. You must verify the numbers and fill in the quarterly breakouts;
- When you agree with the computations and submit the form, you will receive a confirmation number. Click the "Print" button for a printable version. Important note: Your W-2 or 1099 forms have not been submitted until you receive a confirmation number for the successful completion of your Form CT-W3 or CT-1096.
2. Dynamic Web Import (DWI)
- Under "Select Method", choose "I will upload a file" and click "Next";
The application uses a Dynamic Web Import Process (DWI) where you can customize your file layout. Simply define your file layout and select the fields you will be uploading.
- For your convenience, we are providing you with sample layouts and instructions for creating your files using the default "Delimited File" option.
- Fillable W-2 Spreadsheet
- Fillable 1099-R Spreadsheet
- Fillable W-2G Spreadsheet
- Fillable 1099-MISC Spreadsheet
- If there are any errors in your upload, each error will be identified individually. You must correct all errors on your file and then upload the file again;
- After you have successfully uploaded your W-2s or 1099s, you will be taken to the Form CT-W3 or CT-1096 where the TSC has prefilled many of the fields based on the information you just uploaded. You must verify the numbers and fill in the quarterly breakouts;
- When you agree with the computations and submit the form, you will receive a confirmation number. Click the "Print" button for a printable version. Important: Your W-2 or 1099 forms have not been submitted until you receive a confirmation number for the successful completion of your Form CT-W3 or CT-1096.
3. Batch File Upload using Standard File/Batch Manager for W-2’s and 1099’s.
- For 1099’s select the Standard File method (third option). This format is defined in IP 2019(12).
- For W-2’s select the Standard EFW2 method (third option). This format is defined in IP 2019(13).
- Use the “Browse” button to look for your file
- Click on the “upload” button
- Once your file has finished processing, you obtain your results by clicking on the “Download Result File”. If the Details column indicates an error, simply fix the file and re-upload. Each successful file will contain certain results depending on which information forms are being uploaded (W-2’s or 1099’s) Wage = RA, RE, RT and RF record. Non-Wage = T, A, C and F record.
- A link is provided on the file upload page to a results file defining layout errors.
- After successful upload, you must return to the withholding main menu to upload the annual summary (CT-W3 or CT-1096). Again choose the annual reconciliation for the information forms you are uploading.
- Agree to complete the annual summary.
- Verify figures are correct and complete quarterly break out.
- Submit the annual summary and receive confirmation number.
Unregistered Taxpayers Filing Form(s) 1099-MISC
Taxpayers that are not able to log into the TSC and need to submit Form 1099-MISC may do so on-line by using the Taxpayer Service Center (TSC). Visit the TSC-BUS Welcome Page and from the left hand tool bar click on File Form CT -1096 and associated 1099-MISC forms. Select the filing year from the drop down box and enter your Federal Employer ID Number (FEIN).
After you enter certain business information, you will then choose from 3 different filing options:
- Manually enter my 1099/W-2G information (maximum 100)
- Upload a file containing 1099/W-2G information
- I will upload a 1099/W-2G file using the Standard file formatting. This format is defined in IP 2019(12).