Highway Use Fee - Registration is now open for certain carriers to register for the new Connecticut Highway Use Fee - Click here for more information.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION - the following tax types are now available in myconneCT: Individual Income Tax, Attorney Occupational Tax, Unified Gift and Estate Tax, Controlling Interest Transfer Tax, and Alcoholic Beverage Tax. - Click here for the latest information.

This information is not current and is being provided for reference purposes only

Ruling 89-89

Utility Exemption - Residential

This Ruling has been superseded by PS 94(3)

The sale of electricity to an apartment building that is predominately occupied for residential dwelling purposes is exempt from sales and use tax.

According to the information presented in your letter, the premises are serviced by only one electric meter. If the electricity used at the apartment building is predominately for residential dwelling purposes, then the electric bills for the premises are not subject to sales and use tax.


September 6, 1989