Highway Use Fee - Registration is now open for certain carriers to register for the new Connecticut Highway Use Fee - Click here for more information.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION - the following tax types are now available in myconneCT: Individual Income Tax, Attorney Occupational Tax, Unified Gift and Estate Tax, Controlling Interest Transfer Tax, and Alcoholic Beverage Tax. - Click here for the latest information.

Ruling 89-16

Controlling Interest Transfer Tax

In answer to your questions:

  1. the tax is measured by the value of the interest in Connecticut real property.
  2. the transferor of a controlling interest in the entity is the person subject to the tax.
  3. a controlling interest is, in the case of a corporation, more than 50% of the total combined voting power of all classes of stock in the corporation, and, in the case of a partnership, association, trust or other entity, more than 50% of the capital, profits or beneficial interest in the entity.
  4. the tax is due on or before the last day of the month next succeeding the month in which the transfer of a controlling interest occurs.


June 16, 1989