End of Filing Season FAQs
- I don't have all the information I need to file my return by the due date. What should I do?
- Where should I mail the extension?
- Can I use a credit card to pay my income tax?
- I paid property tax but not sure how much I paid. What should I enter on the property tax credit schedule?
- I mailed the return but forgot to send the payment, what should I do?
- I forgot to sign my return. Should I send in a copy with my signature?
- I filed my return but forgot to enter the estimated payments (or payment applied from last year), should I file an amended return?
- I received my refund, but I have to amend my return and will owe more income tax. What should I do?
- Our refund check was lost, stolen, mangled, etc..
- I found an old check from DRS that was never cashed. The bank will not accept it. What should I do?
- We never received our refund check even though DRS said that they mailed us a check.
- I moved after filing my return. What will happen to my refund check?
- I mailed my return to DRS more than 10 weeks ago and I still have not received my refund. I called the automated refund line and it said the return was not processed. What should I do?
- Am I entitled to interest on my refund?
- What if I am missing or don't have an ITIN or SSN?
Payments with the extension request may be made by direct payment from a checking or savings account on the TSC-IND system or may be mailed separately by check or money order. Extensions and payments made using the TSC will be timely as long as they are completed before midnight on the due date. Payments that are mailed to DRS must be timely filed following the guidelines for timely filing of a return.
IMPORTANT! YOU DON’T NEED TO FILE FOR AN EXTENSION IF BOTH OF THE FOLLOWING ARE TRUE:
- You expect to owe no additional Connecticut income tax for the taxable year, after taking into account any Connecticut income tax withheld from your wages or any estimated Connecticut income tax payments you have made, and any Pass-Through Entity Tax Credit (PE Tax Credit) you are entitled to claim, and
- You have requested an extension of time to file your federal income tax return. Keep a copy of your federal Form 4868 for your records.
A. The fastest and easiest way to file an extension request is to use the TSC-IND. If you use the TSC-IND to file the extension, do not mail anything.
Forms with payment, mail to:
P.O. Box 2977
Forms without payment:
Department of Revenue Services
PO Box 2976
Hartford, CT 06104-2976
To be timely, it must be received by the due date or be timely filed following the guidelines for timely filing a return.
Q. Can I use the credit card option to pay?
A. You may pay this year's Connecticut income tax liability using your Discover®, Visa, MasterCard® or American Express Card®. A convenience fee will be charged by the credit card service provider. You will be informed of the amount of the fee and you may elect to cancel your transaction. The total tax payment and convenience fee will be charged to your account by the credit card provider. At the completion of the transaction you will be given a confirmation number for your records.
To charge your Connecticut tax payment to your credit card:
- Visit www.officialpayments.com and select Payment Center. You will need to enter the Connecticut Jurisdiction Code: 1777.
Q. I know that I paid property tax but I am not sure how much I paid. What should I enter on the property tax schedule?
A. To claim the credit you must know the exact amount of property tax that you paid and must enter that amount on your Connecticut income tax return. You may contact your local town assessor’s office or visit the town website to view your property tax information online.
Otherwise, you may have to file your return and pay the tax you owe without claiming the credit and then amend to claim the credit after you know the exact amount. Or, you may request an extension of time to file.
Q. I mailed the return but forgot to send the payment, what should I do?
P.O. Box 5088
Hartford, CT 06102-5088
A. If you have not deposited the check, return it to the Department as soon as possible (with "VOID" written across the check) along with a letter explaining that an amended return will be filed that will reduce the refund. DRS will redeposit the money and credit it to your account and it will be applied against the balance due when you file the amended return. The check and letter should be mailed to:
Operations Division - Revenue Accounting
450 Columbus Blvd, Ste. 1
Hartford, CT 06103
PO Box 5088
Hartford, CT 06102-5088
If the check is returned to us without a forwarding address from the post office, we will check our address data base. If you have given us the new address, we will mail the check to your new address.
If you do not receive your check and we tell you that it was not returned to us, you will have to send a written request to us to stop payment and to reissue the check. Complete Form CT-3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund, and mail it to DRS using the address on the form.
Q. I mailed my return to DRS several weeks ago and I still have not received my refund. I called the automated refund line and it said the return was not processed. What should I do?