Search Department of Revenue Services Filtered Topic Search

Managing Registration Information

  1. How do I change Name or DBA
  2. How do I change Address
  3. How do I change Business Structure
  4. How to add a new business location
  5. Correct a mistake on my registration application
  6. Requesting a duplicate copy of my permit
  7. Updating officers, partners, members
  8. Common mistakes when registering
  9. How to close a business

How do I change my business name or "DBA" name

Sole Proprietorships

If you want to add or change the business's trade name, send a letter to our Registration Unit with this information. Please mail the notification to:

Department of Revenue Services
Registration Unit
450 Columbus Blvd.
Hartford, CT 06103

Remember, if you are adding or changing a trade name for your business, you should register that trade name at the town hall in which the business is located.

Other Entities

If a corporation, partnership, limited liability company (LLC) or other entity that is registered with the Office of the Connecticut Secretary of the State changes its name, it must send a letter to the Department of Revenue Services with this information along with documentation that the name was also changed with the Secretary of the State's office. Send DRS notification of the name change to:

Department of Revenue Services
Registration Unit
450 Columbus Blvd.
Hartford, CT 06103

IMPORTANT: If the entity was required by the Internal Revenue Service  to obtain a new federal employer identification number by the IRS in connection with the change of name, it will also have to obtain a new Connecticut tax registration number. It would have to close all existing tax accounts with DRS and fill out Form REG-1, Business Taxes Registration Application, to obtain the new number.

Change Address

If the physical location or mailing address for your business has changed, you can report the new address using any of the following methods:

Change Business Structure

You must notify the Department's Registration Unit in writing if you change your business structure such as changing the structure from a sole proprietor to a partnership or corporation.  Send a letter explaining the change to:

Department of Revenue Services
Registration Unit
P.O. Box 2937
Hartford, CT 06104-2937

If you are required to obtain a new Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) in connection with the change in business structure, you will also be required to obtain a new Connecticut tax registration number.

For example , if your business was initially formed as a sole proprietorship and you later formed a partnership with another person, you will be required to obtain a new FEIN from the Internal Revenue Service for the partnership.  You will also have to obtain a new Connecticut tax registration number by completing Form REG-1, Business Taxes Registration Application.  You must also cancel your existing Connecticut tax registration number by following the instructions for Ending a Business.

Add New Location

  • The Department requires that if you will have more than a single place of business, you must obtain and display a Sales and Use Tax Permit for each location.  Therefore you must register and pay the registration fee for each additional location.

Amending my registration application

Filing an amended registration application is sometimes necessary if you need to add an additional tax, change your organization type,

  • The REG-1 must be in paper form.  (Electronic REG-1's not accepted)
  • Mark “AMENDED REG-1” on the top of the form.
  • Fill out the form as if it was the first time, completing the form in its entirety.
  • Once completed send any applicable fees (if necessary) and the return through U. S. Mail to the Registration Application Unit, 14th floor.

Request a duplicate permit

  • Sales & Use tax permits are valid for 5 years from the date of issuance or until the business is no longer active in business.  If you lose or misplace your permit and need a duplicate copy you may send your request as follows:
    1. In writing to: Department of Revenue Services, Registration Unit, PO Box 2937, Hartford, CT 06104
    2. By phone: 860-297-5962 (from anywhere) or 800-382-9463 (Within CT-Outside Greater Hartford area only)

Updating officers, partners or member information

You must notify the Department's Registration Unit in writing if updating any officers, partners or your member information.  Send a letter with the changes to:

Department of Revenue Services
Registration Unit
P.O. Box 2937
Hartford, CT 06104-2937

Common mistakes to avoid when registering In order to speed up the processing time of your registration application the following precautions should be noted:
  • If you register using one business name and then want to change it wait until after the registration has processed.  Changing it by the time you open the business will only cause the Department to think it's a different business and you will end up with duplicate numbers.
  • Do not use hyphens, abbreviations and punctuations in your business name.
  • If registering an LLC wait until you have confirmed with the Secretary of the State that the name you have chosen for your business is not taken, before registering with DRS.
  • A DBA name can never use Corp, Inc or LLC unless it’s the exact same name as the entity.
  • If you are registering as a sole proprietor do not register for WTH.  You do not have to withhold for yourself.
  • When registering for the start date, use the date the business starts in CT, not the date the business began in another state.
  • When specifying a year end date be sure to verify when that year end date is for the business. This determines when certain annual returns are due.
  • Filing frequency and payment frequency will be assigned and adjusted after a years’ worth of history.
  • When registering a new business, register with the IRS and the Secretary of the State (SOS) (if needed) before registering with the DRS.
  • Registering for WTH is “not” the same as registering with the Dept. of Labor (DOL).
  • Refrain from sending in another REG-1 if you don’t hear from us, this can cause a duplicate registration.
  • When filing returns write your FEIN and TID clearly and correctly. A correct TID and incorrect FEIN or vice versa will cause a duplicate registration.
  • Be sure to file only the tax returns you are registered for. Filing a BET return for a Corporation will cause us to change your organization type.
  • SUT is the only tax that you are required to pay for during registration.
  • Avoid delays in registering and provide clear and complete information on the REG-1.
  • Register your business quicker by using the online registration, paper REG-1’s can take up to 2 months to process.
  • Be sure to file all returns on time and by the correct method, you may be required to file electronically. Penalties and interest will be charged if your late or not in compliance.
  • If SUT is one of the taxes you are registering for, a TID will not be issued until the $100.00 is paid.

Closing a business

If you are closing your Connecticut business or if your out-of-state business will no longer be conducting business in Connecticut or if you are no longer subject to one for which you are registered,  you can log into the Taxpayer Service Center (TSC-BUS) and click "Close Business or Tax Types" under Business Profile on the left toolbar. NOTE: CLOSING BET is a little different than all other tax types.

If you do not have Internet access, you must follow the directions below to notify the Department of Revenue Services. 

  1. Sales and Use Taxes
  2. Corporation Business Tax
  3. Withholding Tax
  4. Business Entity Tax
  5. Insurance Premium and Health Care Center Taxes