“I SPEAK” cards describe patients’/clients’ rights to interpreter services in English and other languages, and can be taken to medical and social services appointments.  The cards signal that the bearer does not speak English and is requesting a qualified interpreter. You may print out the statements in English and other selected languages listed below, and carry them with you to your appointments. 

English Version:
“I speak [LANGUAGE]. I cannot communicate well in English. Please provide me with a qualified interpreter.” By law, the institutions that receive federal funds (i.e., Medicaid, Medicare, Food Stamps) must provide the services of a qualified interpreter to patients/clients who are not fluent in English. This law is meant to provide all people with equal access to public services (i.e., at hospitals and doctors’ offices, schools, and government entities). The interpreter’s services must be provided at no cost to the patient/client. We recommend that you note this person’s spoken language in his/her file. To learn more about language assistance, or the law, please call:
CT Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities: 1-800-477-5737
Website: www.ct.gov/chro/
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights: 1-800-368-1019
Website: http://www.hhs.gov/civil-rights/
U.S. Department of Justice-Civil Rights Division: 1-888-848-5306
Website: https://www.justice.gov/crt
Access the "I SPEAK" Cards in English and other languages using the following links:

For more information, please contact:
Connecticut Department of Public Health
Office of Health Equity
410 Capitol Avenue, MS# 11 OHE, Hartford, CT 06106
Phone: (860) 509-7140
We would like to hear from you!
Please send us your comments via e-mail: dphhealthequity@ct.gov