- Traffic Accident Surveillance Report (TASR). This report, which is produced for the latest 3-year period available, shows accident totals, traffic counts, accident rates and various roadway features for the entire state highway system. For each state road location, TASR displays location characteristics, accident totals, number of vehicles passing through the location, million vehicle miles of travel, average accident rate for that type of location, actual accident rate for that location, critical accident rate for that location, and the ratio of the actual accident rate to the critical accident rate. TASR is sorted by route and cumulative mileage.
- Suggested List of Surveillance Study Sites (SLOSSS). This is a list of TASR locations that experienced abnormally high accident rates for the corresponding 3-year period. Each TASR location with 15 or more accidents and whose actual accident rate is greater than its critical accident rate is included on SLOSSS. SLOSSS displays similar information to TASR, with the addition of a sequence number that is used to rank the locations by the ratio of the actual accident rate to the critical accident rate. SLOSSS is sorted both by route and cumulative mileage and also by sequence number. The objective in developing SLOSSS is to define those locations which have the greatest promise of accident reduction and thus to give a broad measure of overall needs of highway safety improvements.
- Q-Factors. This is a report that displays injury and fatal accident cost factors by roadway group and intersection types for state roads. Q-Factors, which is produced for a 3-year period, displays fatal accidents, injury accidents, property damage only accidents, fatalities, injuries, accident totals, and cost factors derived from injury and fatality costs reported annually by the National Safety Council.
- Before and After Studies. In conjunction with the Annual Safety Report prepared by the ConnDOT Division of Traffic Engineering, Before and After Studies of accident frequencies are periodically performed on safety improvement projects to evaluate their cost effectiveness. The Annual Safety Report is annually submitted to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
- Accident Experience. This is a history of accidents for a specific location and time period, which describes the dynamics of each accident in detail. These are prepared daily for various sources.
- Connecticut Accident Summary Tables (CAST). These tables distribute accident, vehicle and person totals by major fields that are contained in the ConnDOT database file. They can be produced for any type of accident as well as for all accidents on file.
- Connecticut Traffic Accident Facts. This report, which is published biennially, presents data concerning motor vehicle traffic accidents that occurred on Connecticut’s publicly maintained roadways for a particular year. The report uses text, tables, graphs, comments and pictures to present the data. The Connecticut Traffic Accident Facts report is distributed to various organizations upon its publication.
Connecticut Department of Transportation
Office of Inventory and Forecasting
2800 Berlin Turnpike
P.O. Box 317546
Newington, CT. 06131-7546