CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
2800 BERLIN TURNPIKE P.O. BOX 317546
NEWINGTON CONNECTICUT, 06131-7546
|FOR RELEASE: May 23, 2017||
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
TELEPHONE: (860) 594-3062
FAX: (860) 594-3065
WEB SITE: www.ct.gov/dot
Upgraded Traffic Control Equipment Will Improve Pedestrian Safety at Intersections
In an effort to improve accessibility and pedestrian safety at intersections, the Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) is developing plans to install new traffic-control signal equipment at intersections around the state.
The $5 million initiative is part of CTDOT’s continued commitment to its “Complete Streets” policy geared toward making Connecticut’s streets safe and accessible for all users – not only motorists, but especially pedestrians, cyclists, and those with special mobility needs.
CTDOT Commissioner James P. Redeker said that these upgraded traffic control signals will include features for pedestrians such as countdown signal indicators, accessible push-buttons, upgraded sidewalk ramps, and crosswalks where applicable. The 17 intersections included in this latest project include those in 10 towns that have the older style audible buzzers for non-visual alerts, which will be upgraded with new audible tones. Beginning in 2019 and continuing through the 2020 construction season, approximately 133 intersections state-wide will have upgraded pedestrian accommodations.
The upgrades in this phase of the project will be in Bridgeport, East Haven, Fairfield, Madison, Milford, New Haven, North Haven, Stratford, West Haven and Westport.
Project design is now underway and the construction work is expected to begin in 2019.
The following are the affected intersections:
· Bridgeport—State Route 730 (Huntington Turnpike) at Broadbridge Road
· East Haven—Route 100 (Main Street) at Route 100 (High Street), Main Street, and Thompson Avenue
· Fairfield—U.S. Route 1 (Post Road) at Route 135 (North Benson Road) and South Benson Road
· Fairfield—U.S. Route 1 (Post Road) at Ruane Street
· Madison—U.S. Route 1 (Boston Post Road) at East Wharf Road and Scotland Avenue
· Madison—U.S. Route 1 (Boston Post Road) at Samson Rock Road and Wall Street
· Milford—Route 162 (South Broad Street/New Haven Avenue) at North Broad Street, River Street, and Factory Lane
· Milford—Route 162 (New Haven Avenue) at Prospect Street and Shipyard Lane
· New Haven—Route 80 (Foxon Road) at Route 103 (Quinnipiac Avenue) and Quinnipiac Avenue
· New Haven—Route 80 (Foxon Road) at Eastern Street
· North Haven—U.S. Route 5/Route 103 (Washington Avenue) at U.S. Route 5/Route 22 (Bishop Street) and Route 22 (Clintonville Road)
· Stratford—U.S. Route 1 (Barnum Avenue) at Soundview Avenue and Mary Avenue #2
· Stratford—U.S. Route 1 (Boston Avenue) at Bruce Avenue
· Stratford—Route 110 (East Main Street) at Driveways for Dock Shopping Center and Stratford Retailers Condominiums
· West Haven—Route 162 (Wagner Place/Saw Mill Road) at Elm Street
· West Haven—Route 162 (Jones Hill Road) at Colonial Boulevard and Morgan Lane
· Westport—U.S. Route 1 (State Street East) at Taylor Place and Main Street