I damaged my car while driving on a state road, I want to file a claim.
In general, there are three separate procedures for bringing a claim against the Department of Transportation seeking monetary compensation for damages suffered as a result of some action or inaction of the Department. The appropriate procedure to be followed depends on the nature of the accident or occurrence giving rise to the claim. Read more....
Connecticut Child Safety and Boster Seats
After October 1, 2005 children must ride in a proper child restraint until they are over 6 years of age AND 60 pounds! (Both the age and weight requirements must be met) After children outgrow their car seat, they must ride in a booster seat using a lap and shoulder belt.Read more...
Driver License Information or Driving Records
The Department of Transportation does not handle Driver License information or records. You must contact the Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV Home Page
My backyard is adjacent to the High Way can I get a sound barrier?
The Department currently provides noise abatement, where warranted, when additional highway capacity is added. When a project is proposed that will increase capacity, a traffic noise study is done. The results of the study determine where noise abatement should be provided. The area would be considered for traffic noise abatement should the entire state be re-evaluated and an updated Retrofit listing be developed. For locations to be constructed from the Retrofit list, funding will have to be allocated by the State Legislature. It would be hard to speculate as to when any additional funds would be appropriated for this program. Traffic noise barriers are considered for locations within 300 feet of the nearest roadway travel lanes. The effectiveness of traffic noise barriers is limited and begins to diminish with distance.
What is the DOT's policy regarding tree trimming and removal?
The Connecticut Department of Transportation (DOT) is responsible for the maintenance of all state-owned roads and highways in Connecticut and it is the Department’s primary mission to keep the infrastructure safe for motorists and efficient for the movement of people, goods and commerce. To this end, it is the Department’s duty to prune, remove or trim - dead, dying, decaying or otherwise compromised trees and vegetation in the state-owned right-of-way such as the shoulder area and center-median of highways, roadways and ramps. The DOT employs tree wardens in each of their four districts who report to a State Licensed Arborist. These employees are trained in arboriculture, the science of tree care, and are responsible for identifying dead, dying, decaying trees and establishing tree management priorities along Connecticut state roadways.
When will traffic cameras be added to I-84 in Danbury?
Danburry I-84 The Connecticut Department of Transportation has a project in the early planning stages that will add camera coverage in the area of the I-84/Route 7 interchange. While the exact construction schedule has not yet been determined, it is currently envisioned that the cameras will be operational within the next 10 years.
When will traffic cameras be added to I-84 in Waterbury?
The Department has a number of initiatives to bring highway monitoring cameras to the Waterbury area and our web site. Each initiative has different levels of monitoring capabilities, locations and time tables. Read more...
Vehicle Registrations?
The Department of Transportation does not handle Registrations. You must contact the Department of Motor Vehicles. DMV Home Page
What is allowed to travel on the Merritt Parkway / Wilbur Cross Parkway / Milford Parkway?
The following are prohibited from entry upon and use of the highway right-of-way of those limited access state highways designated as parkways: Read more...
What is the legal length of the semi-trailer?
Under Connecticut General Statue 14-262, the maximum legal length of the semi-trailer portion of a tractor-trailer combination is 48 feet. When “legal length” is cited, it means the maximum length that can be operated without a permit.

Printable Version