Rehabilitation of Arrigoni Bridge Approach Spans and Operational Improvements at Saint John’s Square / Main Street Intersection in Middletown and Portland
The Connecticut Department of Transportation is announcing the start of construction for the rehabilitation of the Arrigoni Bridge approach spans carrying Routes 17 and 66 in Middletown and Portland. This project will take place simultaneously with the Saint John’s Square/Main Street intersection operational improvement project in Middletown. Construction is set to begin on or about February 27, 2020.
Work on the Arrigoni approach spans consists of replacing the bridge decks, superstructure steel upgrades and repairs as well as substructure repairs to improve the overall structural capacity, reliability and integrity of the bridge. Additionally, a new protective fence system ranging in height from 8 to 12-feet, will also be installed on both the approach and main spans as part of this project. Construction activities will be completed in three separate stages in order to maintain traffic flow through the project limits while providing the contractor with adequate space to efficiently complete construction. In each stage, Rt. 17/66 traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction with the use temporary precast concrete barrier (TPCB). TPCB is expected to be in place for a maximum of 540 days.
Work on St. John’s Square and Main Street consists of the geometric realignment of the intersection to improve safety and operational efficiency, as well as the addition of two turn-lanes.
Lane Closure Information
The contractor will be allowed to interfere with traffic at the below locations during the following hours:
- Route 66 (Main Street): Monday – Friday from 9:00am – 2:00pm and 6:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
- Route 66 (Washington Street): Monday – Friday from 9:00am – 3:00pm and 6:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
- Route 17 (Hartford Avenue): Monday – Friday 9:00am – 3:00pm and 6:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
- Route 17 / 66: Monday – Friday from 8:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
- SR 545 (Washington Street): Monday – Friday from 9:00am – 3:00pm and 6:00pm – 6:00am, Saturday and Sunday from 9:00pm – 9:00am
DOT Project Nos. 0082-0312 and 0082-0320 were awarded to Mohawk Northeast, Inc. as one contract at a cost of $46,289,385.04 on January 13, 2020, and are scheduled to be completed February 25, 2022.
Motorists should be aware that modifications or extensions to this schedule may become necessary due to weather delays or other unforeseen conditions. Motorists are advised to maintain a safe speed when driving in this vicinity.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
TELEPHONE: (860) 594-3062
FAX: (860) 594-3065
WEB SITE: www.ct.gov/dot