CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
2800 BERLIN TURNPIKE P.O. BOX 317546
NEWINGTON CONNECTICUT, 06131-7546
|FOR RELEASE: November 16, 2018||
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
TELEPHONE: (860) 594-3062
FAX: (860) 594-3065
WEB SITE: www.ct.gov/dot
Public Open House for the Proposed New Parking Garage at Union Station in New Haven
The Connecticut Department of Transportation (Department) will conduct a Public Open House session for the proposed Union Station parking garage to be constructed on Union Avenue in the City of New Haven. The open house will be held on Tuesday, December 11, 2018, on the main floor in the west wing of Union Station, 50 Union Avenue, New Haven. The inclement weather date will be Thursday, December 13, 2018.
The open house format will allow commuters, station patrons, and other interested parties to learn about the project and to ask the Department’s design team questions during one or both of the following information sessions scheduled for December 11, 2018:
• Morning Session: 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
• Evening Session: 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Both sessions will include the same project information and exhibits. There will not be a formal presentation, so those interested in attending can do so at their convenience.
The project site is located north (east) of Union Station on State of Connecticut property currently occupied by a 260-space surface parking lot. The proposed parking garage will accommodate approximately 1,015 spaces on seven parking levels resulting in a net increase of 688 spaces for the station after accounting for the loss of parking in the surface lot and other parking adjustments in the existing garage.
The proposed project also includes:
The proposed project also includes:
- Provisions for 240 bike parking spaces and bike repair amenities inside the existing garage; these accommodations will replace those currently located on site.
- A multi-story pedestrian lobby linking the new garage and the existing garage with three new elevators to the ground floor and direct connectivity to a new pedestrian walkway through the existing garage to the station. This lobby structure is being designed to connect with a future pedestrian bridge that will link the new and existing parking garages directly to the station platforms. (The pedestrian bridge is being designed by the Department under a separate project.)
- A vehicle bridge connecting the new and existing garages on the third level.
- New parking guidance technology that will detect available parking spaces and will display by-level parking availability for both parking garages.
- Architectural details and façade treatments for the new garage and lobby that were developed in collaboration with the City of New Haven’s representatives.
- On-going development of details for new garage access and street-side improvements that are coordinated with the City of New Haven’s plans for future bike, pedestrian, and transit enhancements on Union Avenue in the project area.
Construction is planned to begin in late-2019.
The open house is being held to afford a full opportunity for public participation and to allow open discussion of any views and comments the community may have prior to progressing the proposed project into the final design phase.
The meeting facility is ADA accessible. Language assistance may be requested by contacting the Department’s Language Assistance Call Line at (860) 594-2109 at least five business days prior to the meeting. Persons with hearing and/or speech disabilities may dial 711 for Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS) and must instruct the operator to contact (860) 594-2243. Language assistance is provided at no cost to the public and efforts will be made to respond to timely requests for assistance.