CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
2800 BERLIN TURNPIKE P.O. BOX 317546
NEWINGTON CONNECTICUT, 06131-7456
|FOR RELEASE: July 27, 2012||
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
TELEPHONE: (860) 594-3062
FAX: (860) 594-3065
WEB SITE: www.ct.gov/dot
Bridge Beam End Painting and Steel Repair
The Connecticut Department of Transportation is planning a project to rehabilitate 13 bridges. This project is in the design phase and has been recommended for construction.
The following bridges are included in the project:
Bridge Number Town(s) Location
03341 Essex Route 9 over Route 153
03342 Essex Route 9 over Route 153 and 154
03343 Essex Route 9 over Route 154
03417 Essex Dennison Road over Route 9
03415 and 03416 Essex Route 9 over Route 154, Ward Brook and Valley Railroad
03445 and 03446 Deep River Route 9 over Route 80
03439 Chester Wig Hill Road over Route 9
03284 and 03285 Haddam Route 9 over Route 81 and Ponset Brook
03287 and 03288 Haddam Route 9 over Candlewood Hill Road and Brook
It is the Department’s policy to keep the public informed and involved when such projects are undertaken. It is important that the community share its concerns to assist in the project’s development.
The project involves replacing deficient steel bearings with maintenance free elastomeric bearings, repairing or replacing heavily corroded steel sections, and painting selected areas of the above bridges. The overall intent of the project is to extend the life of the bridges as long as possible by conducting needed repairs in a timely manner, rather than waiting until the deficiencies trigger more extensive work.
The present schedule indicates that the contract documents will be completed in September 2012 with construction anticipated to start in spring of 2013.
Based upon a preliminary estimate, the construction cost will be range from 3 to 5 million dollars. It is anticipated that the Federal Highway Administration will provide 80% of the construction cost and the State will provide the remaining 20%.
Preliminary plans are available for public review and comment. Please contact Mr. Bryan Reed, at 860-594-3418, Monday through Friday from 8:00 until 4:00 p.m. or at firstname.lastname@example.org.