Local Traffic Authority
Every Town or City in Connecticut has one person designated as a Local Traffic Authority (LTA). This person works with CTDOT on traffic related matters on State roads. LTAs are also responsible for many regulatory items on local roads.
The first point of contact for any traffic related concern on ANY public road is your LTA. Generally, LTAs are more familiar with traffic patterns and concerns in their area and are considered the subject matter expert in their community. See Local Traffic Authority List.
If an LTA agrees with the change, addition, or removal of a traffic signal, sign, or marking, they will contact CTDOT to review the request.
- What requires OSTA approval?
- Application For Approval of Speed Limit
- Traffic Signal Application form
- Do Not Block Intersection signs
- Passing/No Passing Zone Guidelines
- Doing work on a State road
- FHWA - MUTCD