CTDOT Press Releases
Hartford Line Schedule Adjustments to Accommodate Amtrak’s Rail Replacement Project
The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) today announced temporary weekday train schedule adjustments effective January 29, 2023, through April 7, 2023, on the Hartford Line (HL). This work is necessary to accommodate the final stage of Amtrak’s Rail Replacement Project. The Rail Replacement Project consists of three stages of work to replace rail at or near the end of its useful life and keep the railroad in a state of good repair. Amtrak completed the first stage in Meriden on October 21, 2022, and the second stage was completed on November 18, 2022, between Berlin and Hartford. The third and final stage of work will replace sections of track between Enfield, Conn. and Springfield, Mass.
The rail replacement project will require bus substitutions for specific trains, and train time adjustments of up to 25 minutes. As a result, some connecting trains may have changed. These schedule changes will not impact any station platform boarding assignments.
HL trains with significant schedule adjustments include:
- CTrail trains 4405 and 4467 will bus passengers from Springfield to Hartford; passengers will then transfer to a train to complete their trip from Hartford to New Haven.
- CTrail trains 4404 and 4414 will operate from New Haven to Hartford; passengers will then transfer to a bus to complete their trip from Hartford to Springfield.
- Amtrak 451 will bus passengers from Springfield to New Haven and will depart Springfield at 4:45 a.m.
- Amtrak 412 (Monday-Thursday) will bus passengers from New Haven to Springfield.
- Amtrak 416 (Sunday only) will bus passengers from New Haven to Springfield.
- CTrail train 4400 will depart New Haven Union Station at 7:10 a.m., 25 minutes earlier.
Bus departure times may be earlier or later than regular train departure times.
Passengers can find the updated schedule here and are encouraged to visit HartfordLine.com or Amtrak.com for the latest service information. Riders can also sign up for alerts sent directly to their phone or email at HartfordLine.com/service-alerts.
While passengers are no longer required to wear masks on board trains or in stations, masks are welcome and remain an important preventive measure against COVID-19. Anyone needing or choosing to wear one is encouraged to do so.
Share this information on: