CTDOT Press Releases
Public Invited to Virtual Information Meeting Concerning I-91/I-691/Route 15 Interchange Improvements in Meriden and Middletown
The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) will conduct a virtual public information meeting concerning the proposed Interstate 91, Interstate 691, and Route 15 Interchange Improvements in Meriden and Middletown on Thursday, July 7 at 7 p.m. The meeting will be live streamed via Microsoft Teams Live Event and YouTube Live. A Question and Answer (Q&A) session will immediately follow the presentation. The presentation will be recorded. Instructions on how to access the meeting and on how to provide comments or ask questions can be found at the following project webpages: State Project No. 0079-0240 and State Project No. 0079-0246.
The purpose of these projects is to reduce traffic congestion and improve safety associated with crashes caused by congestion and weaving within the project limits. Two (2) separate projects are proposed as follows:
State Project No. 0079-0240 – Southbound Improvements: Interchange Improvements on I-91 Southbound (SB), I-691 Eastbound (EB) and Westbound (WB), and Route 15 SB in Meriden and Middletown. The proposed improvements include the following:
- Widen I-91 SB to provide an additional operational lane between Interchanges 18 and 19.
- Widen the existing Interchange 18 off-ramp from I-91 SB to I-691 WB from one lane to two lanes.
- Relocate and provide a new two-lane interchange off-ramp from I-91 SB to Route 15 SB.
- Realign the existing Interchange 17 off-ramp from I-91 SB to East Main Street.
- Relocate and provide a new two-lane off-ramp from Route 15 SB to I-91 SB.
- Widen I-691 EB at Interchange 10 to accommodate a two-lane off-ramp to Route 15 SB.
- Construct and rehabilitate approximately twenty structures and several retaining walls.
State Project No. 0079-0246 – Northbound Improvements: Interchange Improvements on I-91 Northbound (NB), I-691 WB, and Route 15 NB in Meriden. The proposed improvements include the following:
- Route 15 NB is proposed to be widened to provide two through lanes and two lanes entrance ramp to I-91 NB.
- Provide a new two-lane ramp from Route 15 NB to I-91 NB.
- Realign Interchange 67 with a new one-lane off-ramp to East Main Street.
- Widen the existing Interchange 68W from Route 15 NB to I-691 WB from one lane to two lanes.
- Widen I-91 NB from the Murdock Avenue overpass to the I-691 overpass.
- Existing Interchange 17 access to Route 15 NB will be removed and relocated to Interchange 16.
- Realign and widen Interchange 16 to provide a new two-lane off-ramp to Route 15 NB and one lane to East Main Street.
- Construct and rehabilitate approximately eleven structures and several retaining walls.
Right-of-way impacts associated with the proposed improvements for Project No 0079-0246 are not anticipated. However, there are three total acquisitions and two partial acquisitions anticipated for the proposed improvements for Project No. 0079-0240.
Construction for State Project 0079-0246 is anticipated to begin in spring 2024. The estimated construction costs are approximately $215 million and anticipated to be undertaken with 80% Federal funds and 20% State funding.
Construction for State Project No. 0079-0240 is anticipated to being in spring 2025. The estimated construction costs are approximately $169 million and anticipated to be undertaken with 80% Federal funds and 20% State funds.
Project schedules are based on the availability of funding, acquisition of rights of way, and approval of permits.
The public informational meeting is being held to provide the public and local community the opportunity to offer comments or ask questions regarding the proposed project. Persons with limited internet access may request that project information be mailed to them by contacting Sebastian A. Cannamela by email at Sebastian.Cannamela@ct.gov or by phone at 860-594-2698. Please Allow one week for processing and delivery.
Individuals with limited internet access can listen to the meeting by calling (888) 566-5916 and entering the Participant Code when prompted: 9977843. Persons with hearing and/or speech disabilities may dial 711 for Telecommunications Relay Services (TRS). The MS Teams Live Event offers closed captioning for the hearing impaired and non-English translation options. A recording of the formal presentation will be posted to YouTube following the event and closed captioning (including non-English translation options) will be available at that time. The recording will also be available in the list of DOT virtual public meetings here: CTDOT VPIM Library
Visit the project webpage for options for Apple users. During the Q&A session and the 14 day comment period that follows the meeting, individuals may leave a question or comment via email (preferred) at DOTProject79email@example.com for the Southbound Improvements and DOTProject79firstname.lastname@example.org for the Northbound Improvements. Individuals may also leave a voicemail question or comment by calling (860) 944-1111. Please reference the project in your voicemail.
Language assistance may be requested by contacting the Department’s Language Assistance Call Line (860) 594-2109. Requests should be made at least five business days prior to the meeting. Language assistance is provided at no cost to the public and efforts will be made to respond to timely requests for assistance.
Share this information on: