CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Office of the Commissioner
WELCOME TO THE OFFICE OF EQUITY
TITLE VI PROGRAM
What is Title VI? Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, or national origin in programs and activities receiving Federal financial assistance. Specifically, Title VI provides that "no person in the United States shall, on the ground of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance." (42 U.S.C. Section 2000d). Title VI Policy
The Connecticut Department of Transportation (CTDOT) is committed to ensuring that no person is excluded from participation, denied benefits, or otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity, on the basis of race, color, national origin and other nondiscrimination directives. The Airport and Airway Improvement Act of 1982 (49 U.S.C. § 47123) added “sex” and “creed” as protected status in all Federal Aviation Administration activities.
CTDOT, as a recipient of federal financial assistance, will ensure full compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, and related statutes and regulations in all CTDOT programs and activities.
Any person who believes that he or she has been subjected to discrimination or retaliation based on their race, color or national origin may file a Title VI complaint. Complaints may be filed directly to CTDOT or to the Federal Funding agency. Complaints must be filed in writing and signed by the complainant or a representative and should include the complainants name, address, and telephone number or other means by with the complainant can be contacted. Complaints must be filed within 180 days of the date of the alleged discriminatory act.
To request additional information on CTDOT’s non-discrimination obligations or to file a Title VI complaint, please submit your request or complaint in writing to:
Connecticut Department of Transportation
Attention: Debra Goss, Title VI Coordinator
2800 Berlin Turnpike
Newington, Connecticut 06111
Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Title VI complaints may be filed directly to:
FTA Office of Civil Rights
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC 20590
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Title VI complaints may be filed directly to:
FHWA Office of Civil Rights
1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
8th Floor E81-105
Washington, DC 20590
Title VI Compliance
Title VI compliance is a situation where a recipient has effectively implemented all the Title VI requirements or can demonstrate that every good faith effort has been made toward achieving this end.
A US DOT Federal-aid recipient is any State, territory, possession, political subdivision, instrumentality, public or private agency, organization, entity or individual to whom US DOT assistance is extended either directly or through another recipient.
Federally-assisted programs include any US DOT Project, program or activity for the provision of services, financial aid, and other benefits. This includes education or training, work opportunities, health, welfare, rehabilitation, housing or other services, whether provided directly by the recipient or other agents, through contracts or other arrangements with the recipient.
What discrimination is prohibited by the CTDOT Title VI Program?
Discrimination, under our Title VI program, is an act (action or inaction) whether intentional or unintentional, through which a person or group, solely because of race, color or national origin has been otherwise subjected to unequal treatment or impact, under any program or activity receiving financial assistance from US DOT.
In operating US DOT-assisted programs, a recipient cannot discriminate either directly or through contractual or other means by:
- Denying programs, services, financial aids, or other benefits;
- Providing different program services, financial aids or other benefits, or providing them in manner different from that provided to others;
- Segregating or separately treating individuals or groups in any matter related to the receipt of any program service, financial aid or benefit;
- Restricting in any way the enjoyment of any advantage or privilege enjoyed by others receiving any program service, financial aid or other benefits;
- Denying person(s) the opportunity to participate as a member of a planning, advisory or similar body;
- Denying person(s) the opportunity to participate in the program through the provision of services, or affording the opportunity to do so differently from those afforded others.
Title VI Documents
- Title VI Flyer (English with safe harbor languages) (pdf)
- Title VI Flyer (Spanish) (pdf)
- FTA Title VI Program (pdf)
- FHWA Title VI Program (pdf)
- Title VI Policy (pdf)
- Title VI Notice to Beneficiaries/Your Rights under Title VI (pdf)
- Sus Derechos bajo el Título VI del Acto de Derechos Civiles de 1964 (pdf)
- Title VI Discrimination Complaint Form (pdf)
- Formulario de Denuncia Por Discriminacion Bajo el Titulo VI y Programas Relacionados (pdf)
- CTDOT FHWA Title VI Complaint Procedures (pdf)
- Procedimientos de Disposición de Denuncias Título VI de la Administración Federal de Carreteras (FHWA, por sus siglas en ingles) (pdf)
- CTDOT FTA Title VI Complaint Procedures (pdf)
- FTA Título VI y Procesos y Procedimientos de Investigación de Denuncias Relacionadas con la no Discriminación (pdf)
- Resource Directory for Community Outreach & Employee Referrals
- 2022 CTDOT Title VI Assurances
Title VI Training Modules
- Title VI Training for Subrecipients of FHWA Funds
- Title VI Training for Subrecipients and Grantees of FTA Funds
- Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Training Module
Title VI Maps
Public Involvement Procedures
Title VI Templates and Guidance Documents for Subrecipients/Grantees
- FTA Title VI Notice to the Public
- FTA Title VI Complaint Process and Procedures
- FTA Title VI Complaint Form
- Title VI Complaint Log
- Four-Factor Analysis and Language Assistance Plan Guidance Document
- 5310 Grantee Guide to Title VI Compliance
- Language (LEP) Data by Town for Subrecipients
- Local Public Agency Title VI Frequently Asked Questions
Title VI Program Staff
Title VI Coordinator
Phone: (860) 594-2169
Title VI Leadership Associate
Phone: (860) 594-2246