The UniteCT program is no longer accepting new applications, and staff will continue to process existing applications until funding is no longer available. El programa UniteCT ya no acepta nuevas solicitudes, y el personal continuará procesando las solicitudes existentes hasta que ya no haya fondos disponibles.

Resources for Tenants

Trainings for Tenants
How to Complete the UniteCT Application
How to - Tenant Request Rental Arrears with Previous Landlord

Forms for the Application

Certification of Zero Income Form 
Attestation of COVID-19 Hardship 
Tenant Request Rental Arrears with Previous Landlord

Flyers for Tenants
How to Fix UniteCT Technical Problems 

Did you have a good experience with UniteCT? Please submit your testimonial here.


  • My application is still pending, what do I do?

     All fully submitted and eligible applications are expected to be funded by UniteCT. Please note as you wait for approval, the program intends to pay for the tenant’s rental arrears up to the month when the Case Supervisor approves the file, not to exceed $15,000 or 12 months of rental assistance. Tenants will no longer receive three months of prospective rent because the program closed for these types of prospective requests on February 15th, 2022. If a tenant does not owe rental arrears at the time the Case Supervisor reviews the application, the application will be Closed.



  • Why was my UniteCT application closed on March 31st 2022?

    On February 15th, 2022 the UniteCT program suspended new rent and electric application submissions and recertification intake.  Tenants and landlords who had a Rent Relief Case # had until March 31st, 2022 to complete their applications.  Any cases not fully completed by March 31st, 2022 were withdrawn from the case review process. All tenants and landlords with an incomplete application were sent an email on February 16th describing the process. Select here to view the letter. UniteCT staff will continue reviewing and processing applications after March 31st until funding is no longer available.


  • What to do if you received a letter that your application is incomplete?

    Do you have an adequate rental arrears schedule that shows past due rent month by month?

    o   If you owe rent and did not upload a document under the "Past Rent Due" section in the Documents tab, please download and fill out the Rental Arrears Form.

    Do you have two months-worth of income documentation? 

    o   Remember, the amount of documentation depends on the frequency of your pay period. For example, if you get paid weekly, provide 8 pay statements; if you get paid bi-weekly, provide 4 pay statements.

    o   If you do not make any income, please fill out the "Income Attestation Form" and upload it to the “other income” section under your Income tab.

    Did you provide an up-to-date lease or rental agreement?

    o   If you do not have a lease, you can create a rental agreement with your landlord and include the following information: terms of the rental agreement, monthly rent amount, and number of adult occupants. Make sure both the tenant and landlord sign this agreement. 

    Did you complete every section of the application including all documentation?

    o   There should be blue check marks next to all your tabs. 

    Did you reference the Documentation Matrix to make sure you are providing acceptable supporting documents?
    o   If you need help understanding the Document Matrix, you can contact your local Housing Counseling Agency.

  • What is UniteCT?

    UniteCT is a response to the housing issues associated with the onset of COVID-19. The Department of Treasury has made over $25 billion available to assist households in the US that are unable to pay rent and utilities due to COVID-19. Connecticut has received $235 million dollars, and will allocate these funds to eligible individuals and households.

  • What does UniteCT help pay for?

    Eligible individuals and households may receive up to $15,000 in funding to pay for rental arrears and prospective rent assistance; and up to $1,500 in electric utility arrearages. For more information, visit our Guidelines.

  • What does arrears mean?
    Arrears is defined as money that is owed and should have been paid earlier. UniteCT will help pay for utility and rent arrears. This means UniteCT will help pay for money owed in utilities and rent payments.
  • What is Yardi?
    Yardi is the software provider for the UniteCT program. UniteCT is using their Rent Relief system to host the online application. Yardi has made it easier for more individuals and families to apply for UniteCT because everything is online in one place. You can start your application, submit, and check your progress all in your application portal
  • How does Yardi use my information? Is it safe?
    Information you provide will be used for determining your eligibility for state assistance. Yardi will not provide your information to third parties, except as needed to determine your eligibility for rent relief, comply with federal reporting and audit requirements, and evaluate or research the program. It is a highly secure and safe system.
  • What if I don’t have an email?
    You can create a free, secure, encrypted email through Proton Mail at
  • Who is eligible for UniteCT?

    To be eligible, you must satisfy all of the following requirements:

    • Be a permanent or primary resident of the State of Connecticut.

    • Be a renter. (This program is not for homeowners) 

    • Certifies household income at or below 80% of the HUD Area Median Income (AMI). You can look up your AMI here.

    • Demonstrate that COVID-19 has made a negative financial impact on your life.
      • You can do this by demonstrating unemployment status, reduction in household income, significant costs incurred, or other financial hardships due to COVID-19

    • Demonstrates a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
  • How long will the funds last?
    As of February 15th, 2022 the UniteCT program has suspended new rent and electric application submissions and recertification intake.  
  • What paperwork is required to fully submit a UniteCT Rent Relief application?
    You can click here and see a list of expected documentation, starting on p. 6
  • How do I know if my income is below 80% of HUD’s Annual Median Income (AMI)?
  • Does UniteCT prioritize a specific group?

    Eligible applicants will be prioritized if the households meets either of the following criteria:

    • Eligible household has an income less than 50% of area median income; or
    • One or more members of the household has:
      • Been unemployed as of the date of the application; and
      • Been unemployed beginning on or after March 13, 2020; and
      • Not been employed within 90 days prior to the submittal of this application
  • If approved, where do the funds go? How much will I be paid on my behalf?

      • Rental arrearages and prospective rental assistance will be issued as a single lump sum payment to eligible landlords covering a three (3)-month period; 
      • Applicants are required to submit an application every three (3) months (recertification) to continue receiving prospective rental assistance; 
  • My application has been approved, what’s next?
    • Once you submit your application, you will be given a case number. You can use this case number to track your case within the same portal you used to submit your application.  
    • Once an application is fully approved funds are disbursed to the landlord and utility companies on behalf of the tenant. 
    • If you may be eligible for more than 3 months’ of prospective rent, you must recertify to receive the rest of your additional funds. 
  • What if I don’t have access to a phone or computer to submit the application?
    • You can ask your friends, family, neighbors, local school, or library to access their computer. The online software portal, called Yardi, is secure and can be accessed on a public device. Make sure to save your username and password. All documentation will be emailed to the email account you used to create your Yardi account. Remember to save your application often so you can access it on multiple devices.
    • You can also visit a UniteCT Community Resource Centers and someone there can help you with your application. See the chart below to find a Community Resource Centers  near you. 
    • Yardi also provides training videos within the application. You can find these resources by clicking the “?” in the top right corner. This is the help center, and you can search their database with any questions you might have. UniteCT will also come out with training videos that will be posted on this website. Check back for updates. 
    • You can also call 1-844-UniteCT (1-844-864-8328).


  • What if I need help while completing the application?
    You can visit your UniteCT Community Resource Center and someone there can help you with your application. You can also call 1-844-UniteCT (1-844-864-8328) or email

  • If I am receiving SNAP, do I have to report these benefits under the income section?

    No. For the purposes of UniteCT, SNAP does not count as income.  

  • What if the landlord does not want to participate?

    UniteCT is focused on working with a tenant and landlord to maintain the highest level of housing stability.  The first goal of UniteCT will be to mediate and rebuild the current lease partnership through providing 100% arrearages and prospective rent up to 12 months and/or $15,000; if the current landlord refuses to work with the tenant a new landlord may be secured with one month security deposit and three months of prospective rent; if a new landlord is not able to be secured in 30 days a one time $3,000 payment will be made directly to the tenant to be used on housing stability expenses. 

  • How do I reset my password?

     You can click on the button "Forgot your password?" on your login page to reset your password. Also, you can call our call center (1-844-864-8328) during regular business hours to get your password reset.  

  • How do I check the status of my application?

    You can log into your portal at any time and check the status of your application under the “case” tab. We are assigning completed applications to case managers multiple times a day. If your case manager needs more information from you, they will reach out directly via email.

  • What if I need to update my landlord's email address?

    If you have submitted an application for UniteCT, but your landlord has not completed their section, in order to be eligible for funding, both the tenant and landlord need to submit their parts of the application.

    If your landlord has already received an invite link, please have them complete the application at their earliest convenience. 

    If you have already completed your application but accidentally submitted the wrong email for your landlord, please go into the “Landlord Info” tab and click the "edit" button in the top right corner. Make sure to click save so this information is up to date!

  • How do I edit my application?

    For applicants who are in the process of submitting an application that has missing or incorrect information, there is now an “edit” button on the top right of each section for changes to be made or documents to be added to your application. Make sure to click save so this information is uploaded. Please do not email in documents, add them to the portal and they will be reviewed by your case manager once assigned.

  • Are undocumented households eligible for UniteCT?

     All tenants and landlords who satisfy the eligibility criteria on our Guidelines and provide the necessary documents listed on our Document Matrix are eligible to apply. Documentation status is not an eligibility criteria. If undocumented individuals do not qualify for UniteCT, they should reach out to CIRI for additional rent relief support. Contact information below. 

    Connecticut Institute for Immigrants and Refugees (CIRI)

  • What if I do not have a scanner? How can I upload my documents?

    You can use your phone as a scanner. This is helpful when you are trying to upload large documents (ex: lease) to your UniteCT application. Below is one example of a free app that you can download and use it as a scanner. 

  • What if the tenant changes landlords, who gets the money? The first landlord or the second landlord? (Example: The tenant moves during the UniteCT application process, the landlord sells their property during the application process, etc.)

    An application is unique to the specific tenant and landlord applying under a particular address. Overall, UniteCT funding will go to landlords who have active and current leases with their tenants. 

    • If the tenant moves during the application process, the tenant should create a new application with their new landlord. The new landlord will receive UniteCT funding. 
    • If the landlord sells the property during the application process, the tenant should reapply with their new landlord. The new landlord will receive UniteCT funding.
  • For new leases, the program will pay for security deposit and 3 months of prospective rent. How much can the security deposit be?

    The security deposit will be 1 month of rent.

  • For new leases that receive funding from UniteCT, does the security deposit belong to the tenant?

    Yes. It does not belong to UniteCT.

  • What information can I take to court or to a landlord to show proof of my UniteCT application?

    You can log into your UniteCT online portal and print information from your "Case" tab that contains a status update of your case, the "Pre-Eligibility" tab that contains verification of your eligibility for UniteCT, and the "Submit" tab that contains the Tenant Landlord Participation Agreement. This Participation Agreement can also be found on our website, select here.

  • What do I do if I am not eligible for UniteCT or need more help than the program offers financially to stabilize my housing?

    The UniteCT Resource Centers are providing different wrap around services to help tenants relocate. Here are additional suggestions to help you find available units in your town: 

    Asking family, friends and other trusted people if they have any ideas 
    Working with the UniteCT Resource Center
    Searching social media groups like Facebook Marketplace, Craiglist and Realtor groups

    • United Way’s 211 Infoline shares a variety of resources
    Phone: 211 or;1-800-203-1234
    • Statewide Legal Services (SLS) shares legal resources
    • American Job Center shares employment services
    • Connecticut Institute for Immigrants and Refugees (CIRI)
    Website: Connecticut Institute for Refugees and Immigrants (

    You can also sign up for the housing authority's newsletter to receive updates when vouchers become available: CT Housing Choice Voucher Program (

  • What if both the tenant and landlord live in the same single-family home?

    For the UniteCT Rental Relief Program, the Department will deem eligible, single room occupancy (SRO) rental situations where separate and unrelated individuals or households occupy a room within a housing unit, provided the individual or household meets the program eligibility criteria of UniteCT. The individual or household must have a binding lease or rental agreement with the owner or landlord that identifies:

    1. Address of the unit;
    2. Specific room to be rented;
    3. Term of the lease or rental agreement;
    4. The amount of monthly rent due;
    5. Executed by both the landlord and tenant.

    For SRO purposes, related parties are ineligible for UniteCT rental assistance if occupying a separate room within an individual housing unit. However, related parties are eligible for UniteCT rental assistance if they live in separate housing units with a binding lease or rental agreement and meet the program eligibility criteria for UniteCT.

  • Can someone living in federally subsidized housing apply to UniteCT?

    Any eligible household may apply, but not everyone is going to qualify for UniteCT. Receiving federal or state housing assistance for the same months requested through UniteCT will be denied on the basis of a duplication of benefits. These tenants will receive a notice of ineligibility. They will have the opportunity to appeal to provide extenuating circumstances to explain why their assistance is not duplicative and they should receive UniteCT assistance.

    If a household’s income decreased during the COVID-19 crisis and they can no longer afford their rent, then the rent voucher administrator needs to recertify the household. This process will ensure that the tenant's new income will reduce their expected rent contribution. The HUD Harford office is available to help any administrator who did not do that, and these recertifications can be applied retrospectively to past months. Below is the contact for the Hartford HUD office. 

    Address: 20 Church Street, 10th Floor, Hartford, CT 06103-3220  
    Phone: (860) 240-4800  
    Fax: (860) 240-4850 
    TTY: (800) 877-8339 
    Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday

    If a tenant lives in a federally subsidized unit AND their rental contribution has been recertified by the HUD Hartford office so it matches the tenant's current income, but they still need support paying their rent, then they can apply to UniteCT by demonstrating a significant financial hardship due to COVID-19 (ex. funeral expenses, medical bills not covered by insurance, cost of childcare not expected because a parent had to work but the children needed to be homeschooled, etc.). These tenants should fill out the "Attestation of COVID-19 Hardship" form located on our website, and upload it to their application under the "documents" tab. 

    Direct link to Attestation of COVID-19 Hardship form:

  • Do I need to submit income verification for UniteCT?

    Only tenants living in a Qualified Census Tract do not need to submit income documents for UniteCT. Click here to see if you live in a Qualified Census Tract (QCT).

    Steps to navigate the website: 

    1. At the top, under "Select a State," click on Connecticut 
    2. On the right, click on the box "Color QCT Qualified Tracts (Zoom 7+),
    3. Then, type in your address in the Serach box and click "Go."
    4. If your address is under a QCT, it will show up in purple. This means you do not need to submit income verification for UniteCT. 




  • What do I do if my current landlord does not want to complete the UniteCT application?

    You must contact your local UniteCT Resource Center and request that the Case is closed. Only one active UniteCT application is allowed for a tenant at any given time for compliance. Then, you should work with a new landlord to complete a new application where a one-month security deposit and three months' rent can be applied to the new lease agreement. 


  • If I live in a Qualified Census Tract (QCT) but make over 80% of my town's AMI, do I qualify for the program?

    No, you must have been financially impacted by COVID-19 and earn no more than 80% of your town's AMI to qualify for UniteCT. 

  • How does the IRS view UniteCT rental assistance?
  • What if my application is not merging to my landlord's application?

    Make sure your Rental Info tab is complete. Even if there is a blue checkmark next to that section, it might be incomplete. Once you complete that section, your landlord should be able to log into their portal and see your application. Also within your Landlord Info tab make sure your landlord's name, email address, phone number, and address match exactly how they submitted it in their application. If the problem still remains, contact your local UniteCT Resource Center. 

  • Can I apply for a direct tenant payment?

    After March 31st, the program is no longer accepting direct tenant payment applications. If you sent an email to before March 31st, then your application will be reviewed.