Inland Finfish Aquaculture
The Department of Agriculture/Bureau of Aquaculture (DA/BA) is responsible for regulating, inspecting, and licensing aquaculture operations in Connecticut. 

Steps to become licensed as a fish producer in Connecticut:
  1. Complete Seafood HACCP Certification. The HACCP certification can be completed through Cornell University. Questions about Seafood HACCP should be directed to Nancy Balcom ( at Connecticut Sea Grant.
  2. Complete the FDA Facility Registration.
  3. Submit the Aquaculture Fish Producer License using A step-by-step user guide is available for download.
  4. Site visits and inspections:
    • Prior to construction, a site visit may be scheduled with DA/BA and DEEP to evaluate the site.
    • After construction and prior to operation, a DA/BA inspection shall be scheduled to evaluate the facilities' compliance with DA/BA policies.
    • Prior to the first harvest, a joint inspection will be scheduled with the DA/BA and Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) to evaluate the facility and practices. Aquaculture facilities solely growing fish for stocking or bait are exempt from this inspection.
  5. The Aquaculture Fish Producer license is issued by the DA/BA if the operation passes the inspections. DCP will determine if the operation also needs a seafood processor license.

Guidance Documents:

Policies and Guidance for the Permitting of Finfish Aquaculture

Best Management Practices for Finfish Aquaculture in Connecticut

Fish and Fishery Products Hazards and Controls Guidance (Department of Health and Human Services)