Underground Storage Tank
Compliance Inspection Program
What UST Owners/Operators Can Expect
- Sites where UST systems are located will be inspected by CT DEEP once every 3 years;
- The inspectors will arrive without notice and introduce themselves to the individual on-site;
- A number of compliance points, including operational paperwork and the physical system will be inspected;
- The inspector will record the findings on a tablet computer as the inspection is conducted;
- At the end of the inspection, the inspector will provide a report of the findings before leaving the facility;
- The inspector will request a signature solely for the purpose of documenting that the inspection report was received – it does not indicate concurrence with the findings or imply anything other than receipt of the report.
What to Expect If Problems/Violations Are Noted
- A Notice of Violation (NOV) may be provided at the time of the inspection or it may be mailed or emailed at a later date;
- Most violations are minor in nature and can be addressed without escalation to a formal enforcement action;
- Certain, very serious violations (e.g. lack of leak detection system) may result in the UST system being Red-Tagged;
- Prompt correction of the violations and communication of that progress to CT DEEP is the best way to respond to any problems identified during the inspection;
- If very significant problems/violations are found or violations noted through an NOV are not corrected, other enforcement tools may be used by the Storage Tank & PCB Enforcement Unit.