Environmental Preferable Products (EPP)
The following Internet sites provide information on environmentally preferable products and services.
- Energy Star Healthcare Program
- Federal Energy Management Program
- Recycled Content Products
- Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- Labeling and Certification Programs
- Other Resources
ENERGY STAR® Healthcare Program
The Energy Star® Healthcare Program sponsored by the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy, includes a database of energy efficient products, energy savings calculators, purchasing specifications, and a vendor locator. To find information tailored to the healthcare industry, select the “Business Improvement” button and then a "healthcare" link located on the right side of the screen.
Connecticut hospitals that have a Energy Star rating of 75% or higher include the VA Hospital located in West Haven and St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center in Hartford. For additional information, please contact Bill White at EPA at (617) 918-1333.
Federal Energy Management Program
The Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP) offers advice about procurement, construction, maintenance, and utility management that the private sector will find useful. As the largest energy consumer in the United States, the federal government developed this site to promote energy efficiency and the use of renewable energy resources at federal facilities.
Recycled Content Products
- DEEP's Buy Recycled webpage has has extensive information purchasing products with recycled content.
- Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines (CPG),EPA designates over 50 recycled content product categories and suggests recycled content ranges based on studies of market availability and product performance. This website includes a database of suppliers searchable by state.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
- The EPA's Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Program site features a database of “green” procurement language, EPP publications, case studies, policy documents, tip sheets, and federal EPP links on the Internet.
- EPPNet is a listserv dedicated to the EPP and offers participants access to a national network of “green” purchasing practitioners and advocates. Vendors are prohibited from participating in the listserv.
Labeling and Certification Programs
- Ecologo is Canada's environmental product certification program. This site features an extensive catalogue of certified products, mostly manufactured by Canadian companies.
- Green Seal is a nonprofit environmental product certification organization promoting the manufacture and sale of environmentally responsible consumer products. Their site includes a listing of certified products and “green” product specifications.
- The Forest Stewardship Council is an international labeling program for sustainable forest products that uses third-party certifiers to verify internationally recognized standards.
- The Center for a New America Dream is a nonprofit organization dedicated to reducing North America’s pattern of over-consumption. Their EPP Program assists state and local governments with "green" purchasing efforts, including a national list of EPP Policies.
- Co-op America is a nonprofit organization that publishes the National Green Pages, a comprehensive listing of socially and environmentally responsible businesses in America.
- Environmental Building News provides subscribers access to articles and reports on "green" building practices and materials, including paints, carpeting, and plastic lumber.
- Sustainable Hospital Project is an EPA funded program which provides information on alternatives to hospital products that reduce occupational and environmental hazards.
- INFORM is a nonprofit organization that publishes environmental reports on cleaning products, extended producer responsibility, and waste prevention.
Content Last Updated October 2019