DEEP is continuing to carry out its mission and provide services while keeping both the public and our workforce safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here for the latest updates on DEEP's response to COVID-19. DEEP COVID-19 Response

Hunting and Trapping Licenses

2020 Connecticut Hunting and Trapping Guide

At this time, DEEP offices are closed to the public. Sportsmen and women are able to purchase licenses, permits, and stamps online 24/7 through Connecticut's Online Sportsmen Licensing System, and also at local town halls and retail agents. If you do not have a way to print your license after purchase, you can display your license on a mobile device (be sure to have it with you while out in the field). 

In addition to licenses, you can also buy the special permits and tags needed to hunt species like deer, turkeys, migratory birds, and pheasants. Licenses and permits can also be purchased directly from DEEP Offices, most town clerks and some sporting goods stores. Listing of Licensing Agents

All license fees, along with fees for permits and stamps, are 50% off for resident 16 and 17-year-olds. Stamp and permit fees are 50% off for resident 12-15 year olds. Junior hunters 12-15 years old are required to purchase the Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp for $9.

DEEP-Licensing and Revenue Office, 79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106-5127: Normal office hours are 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Note that prior to major holidays, the office will close at noon and may close early during periods of severe weather.

License or Permit Type 

Resident Fee

Non-resident Fee 

Firearms Hunting
Resident 16- and 17-year-olds: Fee=$10
$19.00 $91.00
Firearms Hunting and Inland Fishing
Resident 16- and 17-year-olds: Fee=$19
$38.00 $110.00
Firearms Hunting and All Waters Fishing
Resident 16- and 17-year-olds: Fee=$20
$40.00 $120.00
Firearms Hunting and Marine Waters Fishing
Resident 16- and 17-year-olds: Fee=$13
$25.00 $94.00
3-day Out-of-state (Non-resident) Bird Hunting
Allows out-of-state hunters to hunt migratory and resident game birds for 3 consecutive privilege days (Sundays not included). Hunters must also purchase either a Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp or a Connecticut Resident Game Bird Stamp, depending on what species are being hunted.
- - - $35.00
Junior Firearms Hunting (Ages 12 to 15) $11.00


Age 65+ Annual Firearms Hunting License Free - - -
Archery Deer/Small Game
Resident 16- and 17-year-olds: Fee=$21
$41.00 $135.00
Archery Deer/Small Game and All Waters Fishing
Resident 16- and 17-year-olds: Fee=$33
$65.00 - - -
Junior Archery Deer/Small Game (Ages 12 to 15) $10.00 $19.00
Trapping $34.00 $250.00
Resident 16- and 17-year-old Trapping $17.00 - - -
Junior Trapping (Ages 15 and under) $11.00 - - -
Age 65+ Annual Trapping License Free - - -

Archery Permits and Bird Hunting Stamps

All permits and stamps can be purchased from Connecticut's Online Sportsmen Licensing System.

Small Game and Deer Archery Permit Valid for Calendar Year 
(Fees: $41.00 Resident; $135.00 Non-Resident; $21.00 16- and 17-year-old Resident; $10 Junior Resident; $19 Junior Non-resident)
Available online, at most town clerks, and at some sporting good stores and DEEP offices. Must show proof of completion of the CE/FS bowhunting course (since 1982) or its equivalent from another state or country when purchasing a small game/deer archery permit. A previous bowhunting license, permit, or stamp no longer qualifies. Photocopies of certificates will be accepted as proof of course completion. Do not send original certificates. This permit is required for all forms of archery hunting. It allows bowhunting for deer on both state and private land. Junior permits available for persons ages 12 to 15. 

Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamp - Valid for Calendar Year
(Fees: $28.00 Resident; $14.00 12- to 17-year-old Resident; $28.00 Non-resident ages 12 and up)
Current firearms hunting license or Small Game and Archery Deer Permit required. Available online, at most town clerks, and at some sporting good stores and DEEP offices. This stamp has replaced the Pheasant Stamp and all turkey permits.It is required to hunt pheasant, ruffed grouse, quail, partridge, AND wild turkey. When purchased, authorization will be printed on your license. All revenues from the sale of Resident Game Bird Conservation Stamps are deposited into a separate, non-lapsing account to use exclusively for game birds and their habitat.

Connecticut Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp - Valid for Calendar Year
(Fees: $17.00 Resident; $9.00 Resident 12- through 17-year-olds; $17.00 Non-resident ages 12 and up)
Available online, at most town clerks, and at some sporting goods stores and DEEP offices. This stamp has been merged with the $4 HIP permit into a single stamp, which is required for anyone, including junior hunters, hunting waterfowl, rails, snipe, woodcock, and crows. The actual state stamp no longer needs to be signed or carried while hunting. If you want a copy of the actual stamp mailed to you, answer “yes” to the prompt when selecting the stamp for purchase. Physical stamps can also be purchased by mailing a request with the enclosed fee to DEEP Licensing & Revenue, 79 Elm Street, Hartford, CT 06106.

Federal Migratory Bird Conservation Stamp - Valid from July 1 through June 30
(Fees: $25 Resident $25 Non-resident)
Available at most Post Offices. Also available by telephone and online. Stamp must be signed in ink across its face. Junior hunters ages 12-15 are exempt from purchasing the federal stamps.

Hunters who have encountered problems purchasing the federal Duck Stamp at local post offices can purchase the Electronic Duck Stamp, or E-Stamp, online for immediate use. You may purchase the E-Stamp from another state as DEEP's online system currently is unable to process federal Duck Stamp purchases. The actual stamp will be mailed to you after purchase, but you will have an E-Stamp to use until you receive the actual stamp. Details on how to purchase an E-Stamp are on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service website.

Propagated Game Birds for Shooting Preserves, Dog Training and Field Trials
The taking of propagated game birds on regulated private shooting preserves, during regulated dog training areas, and field trial events requires that each bird taken be identified with a tag containing the permittee’s name and date of taking. Handwritten tags are permitted or a full sheet of tags may be downloaded for printing (Game Bird Harvest Tags). Importation of game birds requires a permit from the Department of Agriculture (860-713-2508).

Hunting and Fishing Guide Registration
Anyone providing fishing and hunting guide services in Connecticut needs to register annually with DEEP. Guides can register using DEEP's Online Sportsmen Licensing System, in person at DEEP offices, or at vendors where hunting and fishing licenses and permits are sold. There is a $100 fee for this registration.     


Firearms Deer Hunting Permits

Available online, at most town clerks, and at some sporting good stores and DEEP offices. A current firearms hunting license is required to purchase firearms deer permits.

No one may purchase both a State Land Lottery Permit and a State Land No-Lottery Permit. If you are rejected for a lottery permit, you may still purchase a State Land No-Lottery permit.

*No-lottery A and B Deer Hunting Seasons have been combined. Regardless of the permit (A or B Season) printed on your license, you can hunt deer from November 18 – December 8, 2020 (3 weeks total). This regulation DOES NOT currently apply to the 2020 Deer Lottery Areas because the lottery has already been conducted. The 2021 Connecticut Hunting and Trapping Guide will contain details regarding the 2021 Deer Lottery.

Permit Type 

Resident Fee

Non-resident Fee

Opening Day

State Land Lottery "A" Season *
Resident 12-17 year-olds: Fee=$10

$19.00 $68.00 Nov. 18
State Land Lottery "B" Season *
Resident 12-17 year-olds: Fee=$10
$19.00 $68.00 Nov. 28
State Land No-Lottery Season *
Resident 12-17 year-olds: Fee=$10
$19.00 $68.00 Nov. 18
Private Land Shotgun/Rifle/Revolver
Resident 12-17 year-olds: Fee=$10
$19 $68.00 Nov. 18
10 or more contiguous acres required.
Free Free Nov. 2
State Land Muzzleloader
Resident 12-17 year-olds: Fee=$10
$19.00 $68.00 Dec. 9
Private Land Muzzleloader
Resident 12-17 year-olds: Fee=$10
$19.00 $68.00 Dec. 9

Revolver Deer Endorsement - Fee = $5
Allows persons hunting with a Free Landowner Permit or Connecticut residents hunting with a Private Land Shotgun/Rifle Permit to use a revolver rather than a rifle or a shotgun to hunt deer on private lands of at least 10 acres in size. A person using a handgun for hunting must possess any required state/town permits to carry.

Conservation ID Numbers

Everyone issued a license has been issued a unique Conservation ID# that should be used every time and every year when purchasing licenses and permits. If you log on to the Online Sportsmen Licensing system, or go to a vendor for your licenses, always use your Conservation ID# as a means of identification. You should write your Conservation ID# down and keep it in a safe place. Your Conservation ID# is your license number.

Hunter Education Requirements

No hunting or trapping licenses will be issued to any person unless proof is provided that they have held a RESIDENT license in the respective discipline within the last 5 years OR the person has a certificate indicating successful completion of a Connecticut Conservation Education/Firearms Safety (CE/FS) course (or recognized equivalent) in the respective discipline for which they are applying. Hunter education coursework may have been completed online but MUST have been accompanied by a field day. “Apprentice” or “Mentored” hunting licenses issued in other states do not qualify. To become certified in firearms or bowhunting, a person must be 10 years or older. All bowhunters must show proof when purchasing a small game/deer archery permit that they have completed the CE/FS bowhunting course (since 1982) or its equivalent from another state or country. Certifications from another state or country must specify Bowhunter Education. If you have previously purchased a 2002 or later Connecticut bowhunting license, you have already provided such proof. Obtain course listings online or by contacting the CE/FS program at 860-424-3011.

Printing Hunter Safety Certificates

After successfully completing a hunter safety course, your certification will be uploaded to your online license profile and will print directly at the bottom of your hunting or fishing license (you may print your certification without making a purchase). Certificates will no longer be mailed. To print your certificate, go to the Online Sportsmen Licensing System.

Hunting Opportunities for Persons with Disabilities

Connecticut laws provide special provisions for handicapped hunters as do many programs administered by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Questions concerning special permits should be directed to the Wildlife Division at 860-424-3011.

  • CGS Sec. 26-29b: provides a free hunting license (permits and stamps not included) to individuals who have permanently lost the use of a limb. These licenses are available at town clerk offices. Non-residents are eligible for this free license if their state provides the same privilege to Connecticut residents. Verification of the disability, signed by a licensed physician, must be presented.
  • CGS Sec. 26-74: allows a person to obtain a special permit to hunt legally from an all-terrain vehicle so long as they do not possess or shoot a loaded hunting implement while the vehicle is in motion. Note: 4-wheel drive trucks, vans, SUV’s, etc. are not considered all-terrain vehicles. Eligible persons must be paraplegic or suffer from the loss of or the loss of the use of both lower extremities.
  • State Land Access: Disabled hunters wanting to access state land with all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) or who have a question about free hunting licenses or shooting from an ATV should contact the Wildlife Division at 860-424-3639 for more information.
  • Public Hunting Area Maps
  • NEW! (This information is not included in the printed version of the 2020 CT Hunting and Trapping Guide.) The CT DEEP and MassWildlife have finalized a Memorandum of Understanding which establishes that both states (Connecticut and Massachusetts), pursuant to their respective authorities (Section 26-29b of the CGS and Massachusetts GL c 131 Subsection 11), agree to issue free inland fishing and hunting, or combination inland fishing and hunting licenses to a resident of the other state who is the holder of a valid hunting, fishing, or combination inland fishing and hunting license issued to them by their state of residency that specifies that said individual is paraplegic. The individual must, however, still purchase any necessary permits or stamps required by either MA or CT.
Age 65+ Annual Licenses

Firearms hunting and trapping licenses are issued free to residents who meet hunter and trapper education requirements. These licenses must be renewed annually.

Hunting and Trapping by Minors

A person must be 12 years of age or older to hunt. Persons 12 through 15 years of age must be licensed and accompanied by a licensed hunter 18 years of age or older while hunting. A person may not supervise more than 2 minors at one time while hunting. Minors are entitled to their own bag limits. Junior license holders do not have to purchase a new license if they turn 16 years of age during the same calendar year.

There is no minimum age requirement for trapping. Persons under age 16 must purchase a Junior Trapping License.

Armed Forces

Any active full-time member of the U.S. armed forces may purchase a Connecticut hunting, fishing, or trapping license for the same fees as a resident. Proof of full-time membership during the calendar year must be carried while using the license. These licenses are only issued at DEEP or town clerk offices.

Lost License

At any time, you can log on to the Online Sportsmen Licensing System and print your license for free. You can also go to a licensing vendor or DEEP office to have your license reprinted.

Hunting and Trapping Guide Table of Contents

Content last updated on September 4, 2020.