Specialized Fishing Classes
Specialized Fishing classes are designed to build your fishing skills by offering continuing education classes and seminars. These courses focus on a specific topic and consist of a 2-hour instructional class, with some classes including a fishing trip. PowerPoint presentations are used in the classroom, along with hands-on, skill-building activities.
These classes are perfect for Introduction to Fishing Course graduates and novice anglers who have some previous fishing experience and would like to continue building on their fishing knowledge and skills. Participants should be 9 years old and older, unless otherwise noted.
Examples of Specialized Fishing Classtopics include:
- Ice Fishing
- Ice Fishing is a great winter activity that offers exercise, fresh air, and adventure during the doldrums of winter! The CARE Introduction to Ice Fishing class covers all the basics to get you fishing safely and successfully. Topics covered include rules and regulations, dressing properly for the ice, safety gear and tips, ice fishing equipment and bait, and what fish are most commonly caught and how during the winter! Check out our Ice Fishing 101 guide to get started on your own.
- Bass Fishing
- Bass fishing is CT’s most popular sportfish, and for good reason as smallmouth and largemouth bass grow large, fight hard, and are very acrobatic! CARE Instructors and CT BASS NATION members will introduce you to bass fishing specific techniques, popular lures, and gear needed to catch these top-level predatory fish.
- Trout Fishing
- Connecticut has a long history of trout fishing and growing trout in our State Fish Hatcheries! The CARE Introduction to Trout Fishing class will discuss what trout species are present in CT and how to identify them, how you can find where the trout are through DEEP online mapping resources, and cover trout-specific fishing gear, techniques, and bait. This is the perfect class to prepare you for Trout Fishing Season!
- Fly Fishing
- CARE Instructors will cover all the basics of the art of fly fishing during the 1-hour classroom instruction and 1-hour hands-on casting lesson. During the classroom instruction, we will discuss fly fishing equipment, flies, and techniques. Bring a fly rod or use ours during the outdoor casting instruction and practice.
- Saltwater Fishing
- Long Island Sound offers some world class fishing opportunities! This class will introduce you to the different sportfish that live in the Sound, what basic gear and bait is needed to catch them, and how to access shoreline fishing spots.
- Learn to Fish for Food: Catch and Cook!
- Fishing is a physically and emotionally healthy activity – but it can also provide healthy food for your brain and body! This class will cover what local fish in Connecticut are best options for eating; regulations for keeping fish; provide tips on targeting these best eating fish; how to properly care for and clean your catch; review some popular cooking methods and recipes; and even cook up some fish fillets. Participants should be 13 years old and older.
- Women Only!
- By popular demand, this is our Introduction to Fishing Course offered to Women Only. Participants should be at least 12 years of age.
Content last updated January 2020