Safe Water Skiing Endorsement
Effective October 1, 2015, to operate a vessel or personal watercraft (i.e. trademarked names jetski, wave runner and sea doo) on Connecticut waters that is towing a skier, tube, or has anyone riding the wake of the vessel, you must:
- Be age 16 or older and
- Have a valid boating certificate from either Connecticut, a state that has a reciprocal agreement with Connecticut, or a U.S. Coast Guard operator’s license and
- Possess a Connecticut Safe Water Skiing Endorsement
Connecticut currently has reciprocity with New York, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Persons who have obtained any of the certificates listed in #2 (above) prior to October 1, 2015 have been grandfathered and do not need to obtain the Safe Water Skiing Endorsement.
As of October 1, 2015 all classroom boating courses approved by the Commissioner resulting in a Connecticut boating safety certificate include the information and testing needed to qualify for the Safe Water Skiing Endorsement. Upon successful completion of the classroom course, the Safe Water Skiing Endorsement will print automatically if you are 16 years old or older when the boating certificate is purchased through the Online Sportsmen Licensing System webpage.
Boaters that need to obtain a Safe Water Skiing Endorsement may do so by following the instructions below:
- Obtain your Conservation Identification Number (ID) (This ID is REQUIRED to take the course)
- Take the online Safe Water Skiing Course and examination.
If you have a Connecticut Boating Certificate or Hunting or Fishing License, your Conservation ID will remain the same ID number that was assigned with the boating certificate or hunting or fishing license. There is no fee for getting your ID.
If you need a Conservation ID Number:
- Go to the Online Sportsmen Licensing System.
- Follow these instructionson how to create a new account under the tab "New Customer".
2) Take the online Safe Water Skiing Course and Examination
- Access the Course
- Select the green "Get Started" button.
- Type in the following:
- Connecticut Conservation Identification Number (You must have this prior to starting the course)
- First name, Last Name and Email Address.
- Select the green "Get Started" button again.
- Study the Course
- Pass online Exam (there will be a fee)
- Get your 3 day temporary Safe Water Skiing Endorsement immediately. Within three business days you will be able to print the Safe Water Skiing Endorsement from the Online Sportsmen Licensing System. If you have a Connecticut boating certificate, your endorsement will print on your certificate.
Thank you for being an educated boater!
Content Last Updated January 2021