Additional Resources for Paddlers
By providing this list, CTDEEP does not recommend one organization/outfitter over another.)
Boating Safety and/or Navigation Courses
- Connecticut DEEP Boating Division, 860-434-8638, offers basic boating courses, personal watercraft and paddle sport courses. Course listing
- U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, 202-267-1002, offers Boating Skills/Seamanship, Sailing/Seamanship, and Advanced Coastal Navigation classes. For courses, visit http://www.cgaux.org/boatinged/
- U.S. Power Squadron, 888-376-8777, offers safe boating and navigation courses.
- Boat US Foundation, 800-245-BOAT
- Contact your local paddle shop for courses and information.
Books for Paddlers
- Johnson, Shelley. The Complete Sea Kayaker’s Handbook. Camden, ME: Ragged Mountain Press, 2002.
- Hutchinson, Derek C. The Complete Book of Sea Kayaking. 4th ed. Old Saybrook, CT: Globe Pequot Press, 1994.
- Schumann, Roger, and Jan Shriner. Sea Kayak Rescue: The Definitive Guide to Modern Reentry and Recovery Techniques. Guilford, CT: The Globe Pequot Press, 2001.
- First Roll: Eskimo Roll for Sea Kayakers. Teach Yourself the Eskimo Roll. Feathered and Non-Feathered Paddles and Greenland Style. Outer Island Kayak, Branford, CT (video by Jay Babina)
- The Kayak Roll. Learn, Tune, Teach, the Kayak Roll! Durango, CO: Performance Video and Instruction, Inc. 2002 (video by Kent Ford)
- Gullion, Laurie. Canoeing. Outdoor Pursuits Series, Human Kinetics,1994.
- The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Boater’s Guide
- Farmington River Watershed Association, Inc. The Farmington River Guide.1970. Rev.1999.
- Jacobs, Robert P., and Eileen B. O’Donnell. A Fisheries Guide to Lakes and Ponds of Connecticut including the Connecticut River and its Coves. DEP Bulletin 35. Hartford, CT: Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, 2002.
- Burch, David. Fundamentals of Kayak Navigation. 3rd ed. Guilford, CT: The Globe Pequot Press, 1999.
- Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) - Flatwater & Sea Kayaking
- Housatonic Area Canoe and Kayak Squad (Whitewater)
- North Atlantic Canoe and Kayak (Based on Long Island)
- Rivers Alliance of Connecticut - Water Trails Program
- Tuesday Night Paddlers
- New Haven Hiking Club
- Black Hall Outfitters, Old Lyme
- Clark Outdoors, West Cornwall
- Collinsville Canoe and Kayak, Collinsville
- Main Stream Canoes and Kayaks, New Hartford
- Outdoor Sports Center, Wilton
- Paddleworks, Clinton
- Kayak Waveology, Eastern CT