Frequently Asked Questions
Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Stamp
Effective January 1, 2020 - Aquatic Invasive Species Stamp- Public Act No. 19-190An Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Stamp fee will be collected from any person who registers a vessel or renews a vessel registration in Connecticut. Boaters with out of state registrations who boat on Connecticut inland waters will also be required to pay an AIS fee.
The AIS Stamp is proof that you have paid a fee dedicated to the Connecticut Lakes, Rivers, and Ponds Preservation account. Funds aggregated from these fees will be used for projects involving the restoration and rehabilitation of lakes, ponds, and rivers, treatment to control AIS and cyanobacteria, and education and outreach programs to promote AIS awareness in Connecticut.
What is the AIS Stamp?
Do I need to purchase an AIS Stamp if my vessel is registered in CT?No, while the AIS fee of five dollars is separate from your vessel registration fee it will be collected at the same time that you register your vessel or renew your vessel registration. This way, your registration validation decal can serve as your AIS stamp.
Do out of state registered vessels need an AIS Stamp to operate on Connecticut waters?Anyone intending to operate an out of state registered vessel on Connecticut inland waters, must purchase an AIS Stamp for a fee of $20. The AIS Stamp may be purchased through the Online Sportsmen Licensing System or in person at one of DEEP's Processing Office. There are only a few DEEP processing Offices so we recommend that you purchase your stamp through the Online Sportsmen's Licensing System, a town hall that has opted to sell sportsmen’s licenses, or at a number of other vendors offering access to the Online Sportsmen's Licensing System. You can view a complete list of vendors on the DEEP website or call DEEP Licensing and Revenue at 860-424-3105 for the vendor list. Once the AIS fee is paid, you will be issued a Conservation License through the online system that can be printed or downloaded to an electronic device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.). This will serve as your AIS "stamp". Whether you opt to have it electronically or on paper - keep it with you - while on our inland waters you'll need to have your "stamp" available on the boat.
How do I get an AIS Stamp?
You'll first need to create a Conservation ID number. Visit the Online Sportsmen's Licensing System and follow the instructions below:
For a Phone or Tablet:
1. Select "Start"
2. Click on the section “Search by Personal Info”
• Click “Select Identity” and choose “Driver’s License #”
• In the spaces provided enter your Date of Birth, your Last Name and under “Identity Value” enter 0000000.
• Click the appropriate year under “Season”
• Click “Next”
3. Click on “New Customer”
• Click “Save”
4. On the next window, click on your name on the top left.
• Your Conservation ID number will be displayed.
On a Computer:
1. Under “New Customer”, click on "Create an Account"
• Enter your legal name and date of birth.
• Select 2020 (Season)
• Select "Continue"
2. Complete each of the sections “Personal Information,” “Residence Address,” “Mailing Address,” and “Contact Information" and when completed, Click on 'Submit"
3. In the next window, click on your name on the top left.
• Your Conservation ID number will be generated. Use this Conservation ID number to purchase your AIS Stamp.
How to Purchase your AIS Stamp.
Visit the Online Sportsmen's Licensing System
1. Under "Returning Customer"
2. Select Identity Type "Conservation Id"
3. Enter your Conservation Id for the Identity Value
4. Select "2020(Season)"
5. Click on "Finish Login"
6. Click on "Next"
7. Select "Boating"
8. Select "Add AIS Stamp"
9. Click on "Next" to Check out
Keep your receipt! This will serve as your AIS stamp.
What is the penalty for non-compliance?
Non-compliance is an infraction, subject to a fine of $103.00.
What other ways can I contribute to keeping waters clean ?Follow the Clean, Drain, Dry method, to prevent damaging aquatic invasive species from invading waters of Connecticut. If you have additional questions about the AIS Stamp, please contact the Boating Division at 860-434-8638 or firstname.lastname@example.org.