The Brownfield Municipal Grant Program is a competitive program for municipalities and municipal entities, designed to assist with brownfield redevelopment projects in their communities that will make a significant economic impact. Only municipalities and municipal entities are eligible to apply.
- NEW: September 10, 2021 Grant Round announced
- October 22, 2021 @ 3:00 PM Deadline to submit application form
- Please revisit this site or sign up on the mailing list for the latest updates. Click here for the tentative schedule of future funding rounds
- September 10, 2021 Notice of Grant Funding Availability
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Application Form
- How to Apply (please see below)
C.G.S. Section 32-763
A Municipality as defined by C.G.S Section 32-760 (12); Economic Development Agency, as defined by C.G.S Section 32-760 (6); and Connecticut Brownfield Land Banks, as defined by C.G.S Section 32-760 (22). Entities responsible for the contamination are ineligible. All applicants must provide proof of access to the site, site control or path to site control
Grants of up to $4 million (dependent on the maximum allowable amount in each funding round as published in the Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)).
Grants under this program will be made periodically on a competitive basis, based on a NOFA published on this website. Please check this page periodically for updates and information about upcoming funding rounds.
How to Apply
Please submit your application using the Application Form that has been provided.
Please note change in Round 14.
There is only one combined application form with two separate sections – Part A: Threshold Eligibility Section and Part B: Project Details. Part A and Part B mirror the pre-application and application step from Round 13. In this Round 14, the application form (both parts) will need to be submitted at the same time. An Applicant or Application may be denied funding after review of Part A of the Application Form.
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Larger attachments that cannot be sent via email, can be shared via a cloud-share link (such as Dropbox) to the above listed address, provided it does not require DECD staff to create a new account to access the files. If you do not have a cloud-share link, please contact email@example.com and a secure sharefile-folder (cloud-based provision) will be sent to you, where you will be able to upload the files. A response email will be sent back acknowledging receipt of any form submissions to this email account. Please make sure to indicate type of grant and name of applicant in the email subject.
Criteria for Funding
Please refer to the NOFA posted for each competitive round for details on allowable funding amounts, award criteria, deadlines for submission and other information. Some of the general criteria that will be used to review the applications include:
- Shovel-readiness and merits of project
- The economic and community development impact of the project and the projected tax revenues associated with returning a brownfield to productive use
- Relative economic condition of the municipality in which the brownfield is located
- Consistency with Local and State Plan of Conservation and Development
- Support of DECD’s and the State’s economic and other policy initiatives
- Public-private partnerships
- Private/Applicant leverage of funds
- Applicant team’s experience
Eligible Uses of Funding
Costs associated with the investigation, assessment, remediation and development of a brownfield, including but not limited to:
- Soil, groundwater and infrastructure investigation
- Hazardous materials or waste disposal
- Long-term groundwater or natural attenuation
- Other forms of institutional controls
- Attorneys’ fees for environmental consulting
- Planning, engineering and environmental consulting
- Building and structural issues (including demolition, asbestos abatement, PCB removal, contaminated wood or paint removal or other infrastructure remedial activities)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Or, reach out to Binu Chandy, 860-500-2454 or email@example.com