CONSUMER PROTECTION COMMISSIONER ISSUES SUMMARY SUSPENSION FOR WAFU ASIAN BISTRO IN SOUTHPORT
TUESDAY JUNE 21, 2022 – Today, Consumer Protection Commissioner Michelle H. Seagull signed a summary suspension of the liquor permit for Wafu Asian Bistro (LIR.18607), located at 3671 Post Road in Southport.
This suspension comes because of a referral to the DCP Liquor Control Division from the Fairfield Police Department on June 20, 2022, regarding events that occurred during the early morning hours of June 19, 2022.
On June 19, 2022, Wafu was the scene of a large party, brawl, and shooting during which approximately 10 rounds were fired and at least one person was shot. This incident closely follows several instances of dangerous and unlawful conduct requiring police and DCP involvement:
- Police responded to reports of an assaulted patron on June 18, 2022
- DCP Liquor Control Agents identified 10 minors being served alcohol in the premise on March 31, 2022
- The fire marshal had to shut the premise due to it being over capacity on March 17, 2022
- A bouncer unlawfully pepper sprayed six patrons without cause on February 11, 2022
- Numerous local colleges and residents have complained to police about the general conduct of the premise.
The permit was first issued by DCP on September 4, 2012, and is set to expire on January 3, 2023.
“It is clear from these repeated events, that this establishment currently poses a significant public health and safety risk to the surrounding community,” said DCP Commissioner Michelle H. Seagull. “We expect our permittees to be good neighbors in their communities and to take the health and safety of their customers and neighbors seriously. Thank you to the Fairfield Police Department for their ongoing work with us to address issues at this establishment and for quickly bringing this most recent matter to our attention.”
The premise license is immediately suspended. WaFu Asian Bistro cannot serve alcohol until further notice.
A copy of the letter from Fairfield Chief of Police Robert Kalamaras, the suspension placard, and summary suspension order are attached.
Those with concerns about a liquor permit holder in the State of Connecticut may contact DCP’s Liquor Control Division at (860) 713-6210, or by emailing email@example.com.
- Twitter: DCP on Twitter
- Facebook: DCP on Facebook
(860) 713-6019 (office)
(860) 377-0246 (cell)