Consumer Protection Requests Information About Unlicensed Electrician
Wednesday, January 2nd, 2019 – The Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) is requesting information or complaints from consumers or businesses who may have worked with, or have information about an unlicensed electrician, Hervin Bolton (DOB 9/19/47). Mr. Bolton’s electrical license was revoked in 2000, and he does not hold a home improvement contractor registration or any electrical licenses.
Bolton has conducted business under the names of H.S.B. Enterprises, LLC, Bolt’s Enterprises, LLC, Bolton’s Electric Co., and Bolton’s Electrical Enterprises. DCP has received 11 complaints regarding Mr. Bolton since 2000 originating from Windsor, New Britain, and Hartford. DCP has an open case regarding Mr. Bolton.
“Any consumers or businesses are encouraged to report any of Mr. Bolton’s activity to DCP,” said Consumer Protection Commissioner Michelle H. Seagull, “Doing businesses without the appropriate license can be costly. We always encourage consumers and businesses to verify credentials first, but if anything goes wrong, to let us know. The more information we have, the better we can support a fair marketplace.”
Before hiring someone to do work on your home or business, you should:
- Verify they have the appropriate credential. You can visit www.elicence.ct.gov to verify the license of electricians, plumbers, and other professionals you may be working with.
- Ask for license information. Any professional should display their credential number on their business cards and other advertisements.
- Have a contract. Make sure you have a signed, written contract before any work begins.
- Ask questions. If you don’t understand something in your contract, make sure to clarify. You may also ask about timeline for work, and payment processes before you sign on the dotted line.
- Pay in a traceable form. Never pay in cash, or wire money. Don’t do business with anyone who requires that you pay in a way you can’t track.
Anyone who has information about Mr. Bolton’s current business dealings or is aware that he is performing any electrical or home improvement work should contact DCP by emailing email@example.com.
Lora Rae Anderson
(860) 713-6019 (office)
(860) 247-8711 (cell)