Temporary Liquor Permits

General FAQ's

Do I need to obtain a Temporary Permit?
Yes, most likely.  As per C.G.S. 30-77 - Disposing of Liquor without a Permit, if you intend to manufacture or, by sample, by soliciting or procuring orders, or otherwise, sell or deliver, or offer or expose for sale or delivery, or own or keep with intent to sell or deliver, or ship, transport or import into this state, you will be required to obtain a liquor permit.
What Does the Temporary Permit Allow?
A temporary liquor permit allows the sale and/or service of beer and/or liquor at any outing, picnic or social gathering conducted by a bona fide charitable or non profit/commercial organization, which organization shall be the backer or the permittee under such permit.
Do I Qualify for a Temporary Permit?
The backer organization (not an individual) applying for the liquor permit must be a bona fide charitable 501(c)(3) or non profit/non-commercial organization.  You may be required to provide proof of your tax exempt status to the Department before permit approval.
Please note: For-profit entities or businesses would not qualify for a temporary liquor permit.
Who Benefits from the Sale of Alcohol during an Event?
All profits from the sale of such beer or alcoholic liquor shall be retained by the organization conducting such outing, picnic or social gathering and no portion thereof shall be paid, directly or indirectly, to any individual or other corporation.

Someone wants to donate liquor or beer to my organization, which will be served at my planned event. What do I need to know?

Businesses that hold a valid and active liquor license with DCP may donate to your organization once you have obtained a temporary liquor permit. As required by Regulation, they must notify the Department, in writing, along with all details of their donation product request.  Here is a link to the Donation Request process, which can be done under their credential's elicense online account only.


May I Raffle Alcoholic Liquor?

No, you may not raffle any type of alcoholic beverage, including beer, wine, hard cider, or liquor.  According to CGS 7-177, alcoholic liquor is forbidden from being a prize in a raffle.


My non profit organization wants to hold an online auction for wine.  Is this allowed?

Yes, the department has amended its stance with public auctions to now allow the auction to be held in-person, online, or a combination of both.  The online auction permit applies to wine only. The sale of any other type of alcoholic liquor is prohibited.  Please refer to the LNC Non-Profit Corporation Permit information page for more detailed guidance before applying for this permit. 

Permit Requirements:

  1. Local Zoning Approval– obtained from the town in which the event is taking place

  2. Fire Marshal's Approval â€“ obtained from the town in which the event is taking place

  3. Town Clerk Certification - obtained from the town in which the event is taking place

  4. Police Authority - obtained from the town in which the event is taking place

  5. Applicant Suitability - obtained from the local police chief from the town in which the applicant resides (this includes out of state)

  6. Sketch - detailed sketch of the proposed premises to outline your plan to control the safe sale and service of alcohol to patrons


Identify which permit type you will require:




Starting a New Application:

To start the simplified online application and payment process do the following: Click the "Apply Online" button, complete the Registration process in the name of your qualifying Organization (or sign in) and then select and apply for the correct temporary permit type.

Legacy Paper Application: 
Temporary Liquor Permit Application - for LCO, LTA, LTB and LSP permit types ONLY

Temporary Auction Permit Application - for Online and/or In Person Auctions - LNC permit type ONLY


Please Note:  These applications must be submitted Online only.  This paper application should be printed and completed in its entirety in order to upload to your online application.  If a paper application is mailed to the department, it will be returned to you.