Liquor Control Complaints

The Liquor Control Division accepts written, electronic and verbal inquiries from consumers and various professions and groups who have questions and concerns about any of the issues it regulates.

In order to file a complaint against an individual or a business, we urge you to submit your information to us in writing, using the form provided here. 

By Mail:
Department of Consumer Protection
Liquor Control Division
450 Columbus Blvd, Suite 901
Hartford, CT  06103


By Fax: (860) 706-1208


Please complete the form with as much detail as possible and submit it along with any helpful documentation to the Department of Consumer Protection, Liquor Control Division, by e-mail, fax, or U.S. mail.  Please remember to keep copies of everything for your records.


All information shared with the State is part of the official public record, and may be accessible under the Freedom of Information Act. Additionally, if you are complaining against a particular business, that business may receive a complete copy of your complaint for their response.