Search Department of Consumer Protection Filtered Topic Search

Take Two -- difference between license, reg, permit

Know the Difference Between a License, Registration, and Permit 

The Department of Consumer Protection issues numerous professional licenses and registrations as defined in State law, and all liquor permits

Frequently Asked Questions

In general, the State usually requires a license for activity that is potentially hazardous, or  involves a specialized skill for which training is required. Most occupational and professional licenses are granted by a professional body or licensing board composed of practitioners of the relevant occupation or profession. See “Boards and Commissions.” For many licenses, an individual must complete certain education and training, and pass an exam in order to be eligible. Some business types are also subject to inspection. 

Department of Consumer Protection registrations do not typically require proof of skill or education. In most cases, a “registration” requires the business or individual to provide name, address, telephone number, and some general information about the business. The purpose of a registration is to establish a written record of who is providing certain services in the State of Connecticut.  It is not a guaranty of competency or expertise.

Liquor permits, while not having educational and exam requirements, oblige applicants to provide financial information, evidence of local zoning approval, fire safety equipment and other detailed information.

back to top

The Department of Consumer Protection issues licenses for the following occupations and professions:


Apple Juice & Cider Manufacturer and Bottler



Bedding & Upholstered Furniture Refurbisher/Seller

Closing Out Sales

Crane and Conveyor Operator

Controlled Substance Practitioner

Controlled Substance Laboratory

Drugs, Cosmetics or Medical

Devices Manufacturer or Wholesaler

Electrical work

Elevator work

Fire Protection Work

Frozen Desserts Wholesale License to Manufacture  

Frozen Desserts Retail License to Manufacture

Glaziers -- Automotive & Flat Glass Work

Health Club

Hearth Product Work

Heating and Cooling

Home Inspection

Irrigation Trades

Itinerant Vendor

Land Surveying

Landscape Architect

Machinist Trades

Medical Gas & Vacuum Systems (certification)

Mobile Manufactured Home Park, Seller

Operating Stationary Engineer

Pharmacist, Pharmacy

Plumbing and Pipefitting

Pool & Spa Maintenance & Repair

Professional Engineering

Real Estate and Real Estate Appraisal

Retail Gasoline Dealer

Sheet Metal Work

Shorthand Reporter

Sign and Outline Lighting

Solar Energy Work

Telecommunications Layout Technician

Television & Radio Work

Vending Machine Operator

Water & Non-Alcoholic Beverage Manufacturer and


Welding, Valves and Machinist Trades

Well Drilling

back to top

For requirements and application information, find and select the specific license type on the Forms page.
What business types are registered by the Department of Consumer Protection?
The following are occupational and professional categories for which the Department of Consumer Protection issues a registration.

Charitable Games

Charitable Solicitation

Community Association Manager                            

Home Heating Fuel Dealer

Homemaker Companion Agency

Home Improvement


Interior Designer

Interstate Land Sales


Major Contractor

Mechanical Contractor

New Home Construction Contractor

Pharmacy Technician

Public Service Technician (Gas and Telephone)

Student Athlete-Agent


Weighing & Measuring Device

For registration information, find and select the specific registration type on the Forms page
How can I find out what type of liquor permit I will need?

Farmers’ Market Wine Permit                                 
On-Premises Liquor Permit
Package Store Permit
Grocery Beer Permit
Wholesaler Liquor/Beer Permit
Manufacturer Liquor/Beer Permit
Caterer's Permit (Off-Premise)
Wine Festival Liquor Permit
Out of State Shipper's Permit
Transporter's Permit

For specific requirements, find and select the permit type on the Application Forms page.