WARNING: It is Dangerous to Ride Bicycles, Skateboard, Roller Skate or In-line Skate Without Properly Fitted Protective Headgear.
Connecticut Law, Public Act 18-167, Requires that all Children Under 15 Wear Properly Fitted Protective Headgear When Riding Bicycles, Skateboarding, Roller Skating or In-line Skating.
- 70% of all children between the ages of 5 and 14 ride bicycles.
- Next to motor vehicle-related injuries, bicycles injure more children than any other consumer product.
- The most common injury sustained on bicycles, skateboards, in-line skating and non-motorized scooters is a head injury; head injuries are the leading cause of death and disability in these types of crashes.
- Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of death or injury and reduce the severity of the injury by 85% in the event of a crash.
- There has been a 54% reduction in the number of bike-related deaths since 1999, when national public awareness campaigns about protective headgear began.