Office of the State’s Attorney
Ansonia-Milford Judicial District
History of the Ansonia-Milford Judicial District
State’s Attorneys of the Ansonia-Milford Judicial District
Mary M. Galvin
Kevin D. Lawlor
Margaret E. Kelley
1652 - The borough of
1665 - The Charter of the Connecticut Colony abolished the
1775 - The town of
1789 - The town of
1798 - The town of
c. 1800 - Justices of the peace were commonly authorized to take jurisdiction over small actions. As towns were incorporated, the General Assembly authorized the creation of town and borough courts in order to handle small cases. Justices of the peace presided over these courts.
1818 - The first Connecticut Constitution was adopted, setting forth the doctrine of separation of powers and establishing the three separate branches of government. This constitution created "... a Supreme Court of Errors, a Superior Court, and such inferior courts as the general assembly shall from time to time ordain and establish."
1822 - The town of
1850 - The town of
1871 - The town of
1885 - County courts were abolished, and their functions were transferred to a strengthened Superior Court. As the volume of cases continued to increase, however, the General Assembly found it necessary to create a series of Courts of Common Pleas.
1905 - Construction of the
1941 - The General Assembly enacted legislation to establish a single Court of Common Pleas for the entire state with judges subject to periodic reassignment on a statewide basis. Prior to this legislation, judges sat only in the counties to which they had been appointed.
1959 - The town of
1960 - The General Assembly abolished county government. The municipal courts and trial justice system were replaced by a state-wide Circuit Court. The three-level system of state, county and municipal courts was dissolved in favor of a completely state-maintained system.
1966 - The City of
December 31, 1974 - The Circuit Court was merged with the Court of Common Pleas. Circuit Court judges were elevated to the Court of Common Pleas.
1976 - The General Assembly enacted Public Act 76-436 calling for “Courthouse facilities [to] be maintained in either
July 1, 1978 - The Ansonia-Milford Judicial District is established, and John Kelly is named the first State’s Attorney for the new district. Geographical Area No. 5 is established, including a courthouse in Ansonia (at the Town Court location in Main Street) for cases originating in Ansonia, Beacon Falls, Derby, Seymour, and Shelton, and serving Milford and Orange at G.A. No. 5 at Milford (on the site of the Milford Circuit Court).
July 1979 - The Milford Police Department was moved to its current location at 430 Boston Post Road, and the West River Street building remained, now devoted exclusively to the Ansonia-Milford at Milford Courthouse.
1984 - An amendment to the Connecticut Constitution (Article XXIII) establishes the Division of Criminal Justice as an independent agency within the executive branch of state government, transferring the prosecutorial function from the judicial branch to the executive branch. Prior to the amendment, prosecutors were appointed by the Judicial Branch.
1985 - The G.A. No. 5 courthouse was moved to its current location at
1989 - The Judicial Branch established a 22nd Geographical Area for court jurisdiction. West Haven was added to the Jurisdiction of the
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
- Follow this link for a Brief History of prosecution in the State of Connecticut and more information on the history of the Division of Criminal Justice.
A History of Community Prosecution in the Ansonia-Milford Judicial District
Under then-State’s Attorney Mary M. Galvin, the