State of Connecticut - Insurance Department

December 15, 2020
CONTACT: Jim Carson, Communications Director

Insurance Department Offers Preparedness Tips
For Winter Storm Season

Insurance Commissioner Andrew N. Mais is reminding policyholders to review their homeowner’s insurance and understand their coverage as the state heads into the winter storm season.

“Having the right protection in place before catastrophe strikes is essential and provides peace of mind during what can be a very stressful time,” Commissioner Mais said. “Policyholders should discuss with an agent or insurance company if their current coverage is appropriate and adequate.”

A severe winter in Connecticut brings a variety of risks - roof collapses, ice dams and auto accidents. Preparing for the worst of winter and knowing what your policies cover before you make a claim will help you recover faster from a disaster.

What Do Policies Generally Cover? *

Roof Collapses – Homeowner policies will normally cover sudden and accidental roof collapses. However, damage caused by age or pre-existing damage could be denied.

Snow removal – Homeowners insurance does not cover injuries to the homeowner during snow removal. However, snow removal professionals should be covered under their own insurance policies.

Ice dams – Interior or exterior damage caused by an ice dam on a roof is generally covered, however many policies do not pay for ice dam removal.

Frozen pipes – Most policies cover pipe replacement and water damage. However, coverage may not apply if you turned off the furnace for the winter without winterizing the home.

Storm power outages – An all-risk policy generally pays for damage caused by loss of power and appliances damaged by the outage. Check your policy to see if it covers spoiled food. Most policies will not pay for shelter when you lose power for extended periods of time unless there is damage to the home that causes it to be uninhabitable.

Renters – Landlord’s insurance will pay for winter damage to a building. It will not pay for damage to personal contents, which must be covered by the renter’s own insurance.

Your insurer can only cover what it knows you lost, which is why it is important to keep accurate records for filing claims in the future. Expensive items such as art, collectibles, or jewelry require additional coverage and must be appraised before getting a separate policy. You also should store your inventory record and insurer's contact information somewhere besides your house, or digitally where you can retrieve it at any time. There is also a smart phone home inventory APP to help with that.

The Department’s “Be Prepared” page offers consumers numerous resources that address the risks of the season. You can also download the CTPrepares Mobile App to receive real-time emergency notifications and public safety messages.

Preparation to safeguard property includes:

  • Make an inventory of belongings
  • Keep your policy and insurance contact information in a safe place
  • Review your policy with your agent or company to determine what is covered – Coverage FAQs
  • Understand the claims process – Tips for Making a Storm Claim
  • Determine whether you are at risk for floods and would need special flood insurance – most homeowners policies do NOT cover flooding


*These are general guidelines and policies can differ. To be certain what is covered, the CID recommends that property owners discuss their policies with their carriers or agents or contact the CID by using our online question/complaint system or call 800-203-3447 or 860-297-3900.

Consumers with questions about their insurance can get more information by:
  • Email us at
  • Ask a question or file a complaint online
  • Call the Consumer Helpline at 800-203-3447 or 860-297-3900.
  • Sign up for e-alerts to get the latest news, warnings and rate changes that may affect your premium
  • Download consumer FAQs on health, homeowner and auto coverage
  • Use the Department’s Speakers Bureau for public events.
  • Visit our Web site and follow the Department on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube