Press Releases - August 22, 2018
Are Focus of September 5 Hearing
Insurance Commissioner Katharine L. Wade is reminding the public that an informational hearing on proposed health insurance rate increases for the 2019 coverage year will be held September 5 at 10 a.m. at the Insurance Department.
The hearing will focus on rate proposals filed by Anthem Health Plans and ConnectiCare Benefits, Inc. (CBI) for individual plans marketed through Access Health CT, the state-sponsored health insurance exchange.
“These two carriers combined cover more than 100,000 and the public will have a chance weigh in on the requests but to hear directly from the carriers their reasons behind the proposed increases,” Commissioner Wade says. “Consumers also have had the ability to comment online on all the rate proposals since the public comment period began last month.”
Anthem is asking for a 9.1 percent increase for its individual plans and CBI is requesting a 13 percent increase for individual plans. The Department initially announced and posted the rate requests and hearing information on July 20.
The Insurance Department is conducting actuarial reviews on each filing to determine if they are justified and will either reject, approve or modify the request. The Department expects to make final rulings on the proposals later in September. Open enrollment for the 2019 coverage year begins November 1, 2018.
To view the rate filings and comment online go to: 2019 Rate Filing Page.
The hearing begins at 10 a.m. in the Department’s 7th floor hearing room at 153 Market Street, a public building that also houses the federal Social Security Office, Capital Community College, and the Hartford Board of Education. Parking tickets will be validated for those parking in the Morgan Street Garage to provide the public with free parking. The Department’s building is also on CT Transit bus lines.
- Individuals will have 3 minutes to deliver their public comment at the hearing.
- Online comment - The public can continue to provide online comment for each rate filing for at least 30 days or until the filing is closed, which is ever later. The online comment section can be accessed by clicking on the individual rate filing.
- Written comment - Written comments may be filed with the Insurance Department by mailing or delivering the statements to the Connecticut Insurance Department, P.O. Box 816, Hartford, CT 06142. All of the written comments will be posted on the Department Web site.
- Ask a question or file a complaint online
- Call the Consumer Helpline at 800-203-3447 or 860-297-3900.
- Sign up for e-alerts to get the latest news, warnings and rate changes that may affect your premium
- Download consumer FAQs on health, homeowner and auto coverage
- Use the Department’s Speakers Bureau for public events.
- Visit our Web site and follow the Department on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube