Press Releases - May 30, 2017
Scheduled for Anthem and ConnectiCare Benefits Inc.
Connecticut Insurance Commissioner Katharine L. Wade today announced that the Department has officially notified health insurers, Anthem Health Plans and ConnectiCare Benefits, Inc. (CBI),that their health rate requests for 2018 will be the subject of public hearings on June 14.
Collectively, the companies have approximately 86,000 policies in force in Connecticut’s individual market. Anthem is requesting an average increase of 33.8 percent for policies marketed both on and off the state exchange, Access Health CT. CBI has requested an average increase of 17.5 percent for policies sold exclusively on the exchange.
The hearings are part of the Department’s statutory review of health insurance rates in the fully insured market. As she has for the past three years, the Commissioner has called for hearings on rate filings for plans that affect the greatest number of Connecticut consumers.
The hearing for Anthem will begin at 9 a.m. The hearing for CBI will begin no earlier than 1 p.m.
The hearings will be held at the Department’s 7th floor hearing room on 153 Market Street, a public building that also houses the federal Social Security Office, Capital Community College, and the Hartford Board of Education. Parking tickets will be validated for those parking in the Morgan Street Garage to provide the public with free parking. The Department’s building is also on CT Transit bus lines.
- Hearings - The public will have two opportunities during the hearings to comment – at the beginning and end of each hearing – limited to 3 minutes per person.
- Online comment - The public can continue to provide online comment for each rate filing, which has been open since May 1 and the record will remain open through close of business July 1, 2017. The online comment section can be accessed by clicking on the individual rate filing.
- Written comment - Written comments may be filed with the Insurance Department through the close of business July 1, 2017 by mailing or delivering the statements to the Connecticut Insurance Department, P.O. Box 816, Hartford, CT 06142. All of the written comments will be posted on the Department Web site.
More details on the rate requests are available on the Department’s 2018 Rate Filing Page.
- Ask a question or file a complaint online
- Call the Consumer Helpline at 800-203-3447 or 860-297-3900.
- Sign up for e-alerts to get the latest news, warnings and rate changes that may affect your premium
- Download consumer FAQs on health, homeowner and auto coverage
- Use the Department’s Speakers Bureau for public events.
- Visit our Web site and follow the Department on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube