This office is currently closed to public visitors for the safety of customers and staff. The department will continue to provide services by email and telephone. Consumers with questions can call 860-297-3900. Insurance companies and licensees can call 860-297-3800 directly. Service of process on the Insurance Commissioner will be accepted Tuesdays & Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Mondays and Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the weeks of December 20 and 27).
Click here to view the Department coronavirus information

Changing Resident State - Individual and Business Entity Producers ONLY


If you are considering moving into Connecticut, but you do not hold an active Connecticut Producer license, you may apply for a nonresident Connecticut license ONLINE using the Electronic Application for Individual and Business Entity NONRESIDENT Producers.

If you have already moved to Connecticut, and are not currently licensed in this state, you will not be required to complete Connecticut’s prelicense education and examination requirements if:

  • You held an active Producer license in your former resident state within 90 days of moving out of your former resident state AND
  • You apply for a Connecticut resident license within 90 days of leaving your former resident state.

If you do not apply within the 90-day time period, you will be required to meet Connecticut's prelicense education and examination requirements.

If you have already moved to Connecticut, and hold an active Connecticut Producer license:

Renewal Requirements


Within 30 days of moving out of Connecticut, you are required to update your license information. You may do so using our electronic Online Change in License Information (Individual & Business Entity - All License Types).

To keep your Connecticut Producer license active, you must obtain an equivalent license in your new resident state within 90 days of the date you moved out of Connecticut.

If your new resident state requires a Certification/Clearance Letter from Connecticut, your license will cancel. If you obtain an equivalent Producer license in your new resident state within 90 days of leaving Connecticut, be sure to notify this Department by email at and we will reactivate your Connecticut license as a nonresident, without loss of authority.

Connecticut does not currently require a Clearance Letter.

Renewal Requirements


Your "home" or "resident" state for license purposes means any state or territory of the United States in which the Producer maintains their principal place of business or principal residence, and in which the Producer is licensed to transact an insurance business. You can only have one resident state for license purposes.