Portable Electronic Licensing FAQ's

  1. Where do I obtain the Portable Electronics license application?
    Click on this link: Portable Electronic Licensing Application
    Or go to Forms and Applications from www.ct.gov/cid

  2. When does the Portable Electronics license (C.G.S. 38a-397) go into effect?
    October 1, 2014

  3. Can I offer or sell Portable Electronics Insurance without being licensed?
    No, you must be licensed to offer or sell Portable Electronics insurance effective October, 1, 2014.

  4. How may I view C.G.S. 38a-397, an Act Concerning Portable Electronics Insurance?
    Public Act No 14-64: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2014/ACT/pa/pdf/2014PA-00064-R00HB-05023-PA.pdf
    C.G.S. 38a-39: https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_700.htm#sec_38a397

  5. We are already selling Portable Electronics insurance. How long do we have to obtain the Portable Electronics license?
    You have ninety (90) days from October 1, 2014, to license the entity.

  6. Is a Portable Electronics license a limited lines Producer license?
    No, it is a stand-alone license.

  7. What is the fee to apply for a Portable Electronics license?
    Initial Application Fee: $600.00

  8. May I apply for this license on-line?
    No, the Department only accepts paper applications for the Portable Electronics license.
    Forms and Applications

  9. May I pay for the application with a credit card?
    No, the Department does not accept credit card or cash payments for this license type. You will be required to submit payment by check or money order.

  10. Is a Portable Electronics license available to individuals?
    No, only business entities may obtain a license.

  11. Who should I make the check or money order payable to?
    Treasurer, State of Connecticut

  12. Do I need to hold an active Producer license to obtain a Portable Electronics license?

  13. If the supervising entity is a PRODUCER, must he hold an appointment with the Insurer?

  14. If the supervising entity is an INSURER, what is needed?
    NAIC #, Contact Name and Address

  15. What line of authority must a Producer hold in order to be appointed as a supervising entity?
    Property and Casualty authority

  16. What line of authority must an Insurer hold?
    Personal or Commercial Risk Insurance

  17. Does each employee or representative of an entity need to obtain a license?
    No, only the business entity would hold the license.

  18. Do we need to submit a registry of seller locations in the state that are offering or selling the Insurer’s Portable Electronics insurance policies?
    No, the supervising entity must maintain these records.

  19. Does the fee vary based on the number of branches/locations?

  20. Does each branch/location need to be licensed?

  21. How will I know when the license has been issued?
    The Department will send an email notification letting you know the license has been issued and how to print the license from our website.

  22. Will you mail me a hard copy of the license?
    No, you may print the license by going to our website at www.ct.gov/cid. Select “Verify and Print a License,” located under “Industry.”

  23. How will we renew the Portable Electronics license?
    The renewal application will be mailed to the mailing address on file sixty (60) days prior to the license expiration date. If you need to verify and/or change the information, anytime during the license period, you may go to our website at the following link:
    Online Change in License Information - Individual & Business Entity (All License Types)

  24. What is the renewal fee?

  25. What is the license expiration date?
    January 31st, every even-number year. The license cannot be prorated.

Questions:  Send an email to: cid.licens@ct.gov
Subject Line include “Portable Electronics”