What is Home Insurance?

Whether you are a homeowner or renter, home insurance offers important protection.
  • Homeowners insurance protects your home’s physical structure and your personal property.

  • Renters insurance only protects your personal property.  Never assume that the landlord’s insurance covers you or your belongings. Landlord’s insurance only protects the building.

  • Everyone – homeowners and renters – needs protection against liability for accidents that injure other people or damage their property.
The different types of protection:
  • Damage to House.  Covers damages to the house itself up to the face amount of the policy.  For example, if the face amount is $100,000, that’s the most you will receive if your house is totally destroyed, less any deductible.

  • Other Structures.  Covers damage to other structures or buildings, such as a detached garage, work shed or fencing.

  • Personal Property.  Covers damage to – or loss of – personal property. Personal property includes household contents and other belongings. Certain items like jewelry, antiques and artwork may need special added coverage.

  • Additional Living Expenses.  Covers the necessary living expenses, up to the stated limit, when the house cannot be occupied due to a covered loss.

  • Comprehensive Personal Liability.  Protects you against claims arising from accidents to others on property that you own or rent. With a few exceptions, such as auto or boating accidents, it is an all-purpose liability coverage that follows you wherever you go.

  • Medical Expenses. Covers medical expenses, but is limited to an amount per person and per accident for injuries occurring on your property to persons other than an insured.  It also may cover medical expenses away from your premises if caused by you, a member of your family, or your pets.

  • Flood Insurance. Coverage for damage caused by flooding is NOT included in your homeowner’s policy. If you live in an area prone to flooding from any cause, be sure to inquire about purchasing flood insurance, which is available through the federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program. For more information visit:  www.floodsmart.gov

  • Other Resources: Consumer's Quick Guide to Home Insurance