BEHAVIORAL HEALTH & SUBSTANCE ABUSE INSURANCE RESOURCES
The Connecticut Insurance Department wants consumers to have the appropriate information and available resources when seeking behavioral health and substance abuse services through their health insurance plans.
FAST FACTS ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH PARITY LAWS
State: Enacted January 1, 2000, Connecticut law requires all individual and group health insurance policies covering hospital, medical-surgical, major medical and HMO coverage to provide mental health benefits.
Federal: The federal Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act (MHPAEA) was enacted in 2008 and mandates that large group plans be compliant with mental health parity if such mental health benefits are provided.
ACA: The federal Affordable Care Act, enacted on March 23, 2010, requires individual and small group plans beginning January 1, 2014, to cover mental health benefits, a provision already in effect under Connecticut state law and extends federal mental health parity protection to these plans.
- Frequently Asked Questions on Mental Health Parity Rights Under Your Health Insurance Plan
- Consumer’s Guide to Appealing Health Insurance Denials
- Consumer Report Card on Health Insurance Carriers in Connecticut
- Consumer Toolkit For Navigating Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse Care Through Your Health Insurance Plan
- Protecting Behavioral Health For Consumers in Connecticut
- A Report on Mental Health Parity And Commercial Health Insurance Compliance
- Office of the Healthcare Advocate
- Child Health Development and Institute of Connecticut, Inc
- Behavioral Health Coverage and the ACA
- Mental Health Parity – Federal Rules
- Summary of Federal Rules
- Mental Health Parity Annual Compliance Survey Certifications
- CID Bulletin MC-20: Mental Health Parity Annual Compliance Survey
Qualified Clinical Review Vendors
The following vendors have been approved as Qualified Vendors for behavioral health utilization review criteria by the Connecticut Insurance Department pursuant to Conn. Gen. Stat. Sec. 38a-591(c)
- Health Integrated, Inc.
- MCG Health, LLC
- Change Healthcare
The Connecticut Insurance Department is here for you. If you have questions, please contact our Consumer Affairs Unit at: